Share this recipe
I'm going to serve it at a gathering of my long-time gourmet club friends. We've been having "gourmet" gatherings for over 25 years. I'm hosting this time in Boulder and they're all coming from California. The theme, Vegan Mexican. This will be our starter. More to come of that. We're going to take photos at the dinner and I'll be posting the whole menu and photos in a future post. Try it at your next gathering. You won't believe how delicious!
Share this recipe
Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 cup of raw cashews soaked at least for an hour up to over night. (Substitution: 1 can cannelloni beans)
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and rough chopped (a roasted pepper works, too)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- Salt to taste (about 1/3 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1, 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 2 Tb. Taco Seasoning or make your own: 1 Tbl. chili, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp. dried oregano, 1/4 tsp. smokey paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Tortilla chips (see homemade method below *) or crackers
- Place the soaked, drained cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, bell pepper, chili powder, lemon juice, mustard, and salt in a blender and blend a few minutes until smooth. Set aside.
- Water sauté the onions in a large frying pay for a few minutes, stirring so they don't stick.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, salsa, taco seasons and heat for about 5 minutes to combine flavors.
- Pour in the "cheese" sauce and stir to combine.
- Heat through.
- Serve with crackers or baked tortillas.
Makes 72 chips
- Corn tortillas, 12 count, cut into 6 triangles each
- Preheat over to 390 degrees
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle or spray a small amount of water over the chips and lightly salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Watch them carefully as they're easy to overcook.
- Place in a single layer on a plate.
- Microwave in batches for about 4 minutes or until crisp.