The dumplings are very easy. I dropped spoonfuls of the dumping mixture right on top of the soup and let them cook for another 10 minutes or so on saute. Be sure to make them on the smallish size because they get larger as they cook. What a healthy treat for St. Patrick's Day. Next job for the Instant Pot, pressure cooked beans from scratch.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ pound green or red cabbage, cored and shredded (about 1/2 medium head)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 7-8 cups water or veggie stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat ¼ cup water over medium heat in a heavy soup pot and add the chopped onion. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute a few minutes.
- Add the spices, the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, a generous pinch of salt, the stock or water, and salt to taste. Put into your slow cookers, cover and set it on "high" for 4-5 hours.
- In the meantime, prepare the dumplings.
- Check after two hours if the potatoes and carrots are done.
- Add pepper to taste, and adjust salt. Stir in the vinegar.
- When the vegetable are tender, add a heaping Tablespoon of dumpling batter into boiling soup.
They can be any odd shape. Use the saute button, if you have one, on your slow cooker, and boil on medium-high heat for 6-10 minutes, flipping them half way through.
- Stove-top directions are basically the same, just check for doneness in the potatoes and carrots before dropping in the dumpling batter.
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, optional
- 1 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped finely, or ½ Tablespoon dried rosemary
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Using your wet fingers or a tablespoon, drop about 1 tablespoonfuls into the boiling soup. Makes about 20. Don't make them too large as them expand when cooked.