This tasty arugula, orange and beet salad is easy to throw together if you find pre-made beets and use canned mandarin oranges.
I’ve found pre-made beets at Costco, called Love Beets, and it speeds up dinner prep. If you prefer, use a fresh orange over canned mandarin oranges. I’ve included a video (below) to show you how to section it.
The combination of flavors in this arugula, orange and beet salad is quite satisfying and it looks beautiful served to company.
The arugula has a nice peppery flavor, combined with a bright citrus which helps to compliment the earthy flavors of the beets. All tossed together in a tangy dressing and ricotta.
The store-bought vegan ricotta I like is made with mainly almond milk by Kite Hill and is fermented for great flavor. It’s an optional addition.
Beets are perfectly divine in these plant-based recipes:
Or paired with these dishes:
Trim the tops of the beets and rinse to remove any debris. You may need to scrub them. Place the beets on a piece of aluminum foil, season, then fold the foil to create a foil pack. Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
Let the beets cool and remove the skin before adding to this salad.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Arugula Orange and Beet Salad! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Arugula, Orange and Beet Salad
- 1 5-6 oz bag arugula (or other salad greens)
- 2 roasted beets * rough chopped * or used pre-made
- 2 oranges (you could use mandarin oranges or fresh pears)
- 1/4 cup vegan ricotta (Kite Hill brand, optional)
- 3 Tbl white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 3 Tbl water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the oranges and segment, reserving the juice in a bowl.
- Put all of the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients in the bowl with the reserved orange juice. Pour over the salad and toss.
- Put small dollops of vegan ricotta on top (optional).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim tops to about 1/2 of beets and save for another meal. Rinse any dirt or debris from the beets – some may need to be scrubbed clean. Put beets on a large piece of aluminum foil. Salt and pepper. Fold foil over the beets and place in an oven-proof container. Roast for 30 minutes or until beets are tender. Cool and remove skins.
Vegan ricotta is not Plantricious approved.