Get your chips ready for this yummy Black Bean Mango Salsa! Be sure to check out the video below.
Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you…. How funny; we all know how that saying goes. But did you know that you actually make your intestinal bacteria happy with all the fiber from beans?
Bacteria that live in our intestinal tract, also known as gut bugs, flourish off colorful, plant-based foods. This black bean mango salsa not only tastes good, but it’s good for you too!
To learn more about the importance of gut health, check out this article: “What The Bacteria In Your Gut Have To Do With Your Physical And Mental Health.”
These little bugs can even affect your mental health. OK, but I love, love, love mango salsa. The problem is that I can eat the whole container in one sitting, which is just too much fruit.
Black Beans are so versatile! Try these recipes to see how much so:
- Black Bean Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Black Bean Brownies – now that’s a mouth full!
- Black Bean Mushroom Burger
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadilla
- Vegan Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Cream
So, enter the BLACK BEAN! The beans fill you up, and the mango satisfies your sweet tooth. It’s a tangy, sweet, crunchy, spicy delight! Dip into it with homemade, oil-free crispy tortilla chips, and it’s pretty much guilt-free.
Not only is this great with chips, but it can be a topping for other items as well. Try it in lieu of a heavy salad dressing next time you’re craving a spinach salad.
To make the tortilla chips, either bake in the oven as in the instructions below or try this handy oil-free chip maker.
Did you know most people consider black beans, and all beans in general, one of the world’s healthiest foods? Many public health organizations – including the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and the American Cancer Society – recommend legumes as a key food group for preventing disease and optimizing health.
- Place in a single layer on the chip maker.
- Microwave for about 4 minutes or until crisp.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Black Bean Mango Salsa recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Black Bean Mango Salsa with Crispy Tortilla Chips
- 1 package corn tortillas (Mi Rancho 8 count is an organic oil-free brand)
- 1 (15-oz.) can no salt black beans drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups homemade )
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro diced
- 1 large avocado peeled and chopped
- 1 large mango peeled and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1/2 Jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper
For the tortilla chips:
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Stack about 4 tortillas at a time on your cutting board and cut in half. Then cut each half into thirds. Place the chips on a baking sheet. If you’d like to add salt, first mist them with a spray bottle filled with water and then add the salt. Sometimes the chips are a little moist and you can salt them without misting. *For an easy microwavable option, see above.)
- Place in the oven for about 7-10 minutes or until they are pretty crispy and starting to turn golden.
For the salsa:
- Place black beans, red onion, cilantro, mango, avocado, jalapeño and juice into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Salt & pepper.
- If it needs more zing, add more lime (or lemon) juice.