This is a new version of Vegetarian Bean Chili from the one I posted when I first started the website. And, boy is it a winner. It’s from my good friend and talented jewelry designer, Mary B. Hetz.
I think the spices marinated in beer really make it! EVERYONE loved it and couldn’t get enough. Serve it topped with Cashew Sour Cream, Cilantro and a few Green Onions.
This is one of those dishes that meat eaters even love and they won’t miss the meat in this delicious version. It’s fun to mix up the type of beans used. This one calls for pinto, cannellini and black beans, but you could use your favorite.
After soaking the herbs and spices in beer, you simply need to saute the veggies, add the spice-beer mix along with the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
Simmer for an hour and your ready for dinner.
Make a lettuce salad and some Homemade Cornbread and you won’t be disappointed!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegetarian Bean Chili! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Vegetarian Bean Chili
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Silicone Cooking Utensil Set
- 1/2 bottle beer any type will do
- 3 Tbl chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1½ medium onions chopped
- 2 large ribs celery chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tsp jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (no salt)
- 1 can tomato paste (no salt)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (no salt) drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups homemade
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans (no salt) drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups homemade
- 1 15 oz can black beans (no salt) drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups homemade
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro remove stems and chop the leaves
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashew soaked 2 hours or more in warm water
- 1/2 cup firm organic tofu drained
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- Mix the first 7 ingredients (beer through Tabasco) together in a small bowl and let marinate at least an hour up to overnight.
- Saute the onions celery, green pepper, garlic, and jalapeno pepper in a large soup pot with about 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth until the onion is transparent.
- Add the spice-beer mix and stir with the vegetables.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans and stir again to combine.
- Simmer covered on low for at least an hour, stirring often. Add a little water if it becomes too thick. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Top with Cashew Sour Cream, chopped green onions and cilantro.
Cashew Sour Cream
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in a blender.
- Add tofu, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender to help the mixture and a little water if it’s too thick. Pour into a covered container and refrigerate for up to a week.