This plant-based recipe for beefless stew reminds me of the traditional American beef stew I had growing up. It always smelled heavenly and we used to enjoy family time around the table eating this hearty, comforting meal.
Sometimes I miss those recipes that make me feel all warm and cozy inside.
This recipe will take you for a trip down memory lane and hit the spot with its creamy gravy and traditional vegetables.
The mushrooms and addition of other umami flavors such as tomato paste, and Tamari (soy sauce without the wheat) make this satisfyingly close to the original. It is surprisingly just as comforting as the original heavy traditional beef stew.
A few hearty plant-based recipes to try for dinner:
- Hearty Lentil Kale Soup
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
- Vegan Huevos Rancheros Casserole
- Moroccan Chickpea Vegetable Tagine
- Sweet Potato Veggie Lasagna
I love the genius way the gravy is made by combining the sauce and some of the vegetables in a blender. Another benefit to this recipe is the time you save cooking it.
The traditional beef stew takes hours to prepare as the meat must tenderize. However, this beefless stew has all the creaminess of the original but can be on the table in under an hour.
Enjoy this recipe with a large salad and some crusty bread if you like.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Beefless Stew recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious
because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
- 1 large yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large stalks celery cut into 3/4″ chunks
- 3 large carrots cut into 3/4″ chunks
- 16 ounces mushrooms if large cut into 3/4" chunks or left whole
- 2 lbs potatoes cut into 1″ chunks (peeling is an option)
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 6 oz can tomato paste mixed with a little water to thin
- 1 Tbl Italian herbs
- 1 Tbl fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (Trader Joe’s brand) (or 2 cups homemade)
- 1/2 cup water or more as needed
- sea salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots in a large soup pot with 1/4 cup water for a few minutes. Add garlic and mushroom and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, tomato paste, herbs, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cook covered over medium heat until the potatoes and carrots are tender about 15-20 minutes. Add up to 1/2 cup water or more as needed if the stew is too thick.
- Take about 1 1/2 cups of the broth with a few of the vegetables and blend in a blender until smooth.
- Return the blended sauce to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the thawed peas and heat through for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with a crusty bread and a salad for a complete meal.