I came up with this carrot pancake recipe on a sunny Memorial Day when I was alone (just the dog and me) and I wanted to treat myself.
So, I decided to make some zucchini pancakes but since I didn’t have any zucchini, I thought – why not carrot pancakes? I was asking myself would carrots work and it worked like a charm!
I’ve learned one thing over the years with cooking and that is to keep it simple. If you are out of an ingredient – substitute or leave it out.
Don’t stress about it, rather be creative and inventive and you just might come up with something you like better. Just like these delicious vegan carrot pancakes.
The batter should look very hearty with the carrots and oatmeal noticeable. The batter will be a little thick but you want it loose enough to pour into your pan. Add more non-dairy milk to the carrot pancakes vegan batter if you find yours too thick.
You could even add some finely chopped walnuts if you want to make it more like a carrot cake.
Be sure to check out these other plant-based breakfast recipes:
Oh, and don’t skip the cinnamon! It adds that dash of freshness these banana carrot pancakes need. With a bit of maple syrup drizzled over the top you won’t miss that heavy, sugary icing the typical carrot cake is slathered in.
You can actually eat this carrot pancakes recipe guilt free!
This is a really good weekend recipe when the whole family is around and wants something yummy and filling.
These healthy carrot pancakes are a crowd pleaser and the best part is your family can treat themselves to whatever topping they like. Maybe one person wants syrup or someone else wants fruit and maybe you’ll like them plain. Whatever the case may be, you’ll thank me for this recipe later.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for these Carrot Pancakes! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
- Silicone Cooking Utensil Set
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds or 1 Tbl. Chia seeds (optional)
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 1/2 large banana mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- Maple syrup or applesauce
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the grated carrot and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the bowl: almond or soy milk, vanilla, and mashed banana. Stir to combine well. Let sit about 5 minutes. If the mixture if too thick, add more of your liquid.
- Heat a nonstick pan. If you’re using a metal pan, you’ll need to spray on a little oil. when the pan is heated to medium, drop large spoonfuls of the pancake mix onto it and cook until lightly browned on the bottom. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve with maple syrup and / or applesauce and the rest of the banana sliced or blueberries.