Are you cravin’ yourself some tasty country hash browns and gravy, but just don’t want the added fat? Well, my friend, you’re in luck because you can make these beauties with nary a touch of oil! Yep! And, you can even make it easier with store-bought frozen hash brown. Just be sure to check the package that there is no added oil.
You will have to put in a little elbow grease for the Easy Gravy, but that’s actually a fast recipe, too. Once you have all of the ingredients gathered, whole wheat flour, nutritional yeast, Tamari (or soy sauce) onion powder, veggie broth and a little non-dairy milk, you just need to add them to the pan and stir.
If you like your gravy on the whiter side, omit the vegetable broth and only add non-dairy milk. If you want your sausage to be brown, you can brown it in a separate pan.
If you’re craving breakfast, be sure to check out these recipes:
- Crustless Broccoli Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
- Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo Salsa
- Potato Gratin with Jalapeno & Tempeh Bacon
- Spinach Tofu Benedict
- Tofu Veggie Scramble
And, did I mention, you will need a non-stick pan, but that’s something everyone who eats a plant-based diet should have.
My favorite is the Scan Pan brand but there are many on the market. If you’re looking for other essential items for your kitchen, check out the new store with my personal favorites and you’ll help support plantbasedcooking.com if you do purchase anything there.
So, for the hash BROWNS. Well, in order to make them nice and crispy, put them into the pan without any oil or butter, and leave them for quite a few minutes, checking the bottom after a few to see if they’re browning.
If not, give them a few more minutes, then add the chopped peppers and onion, stir around and let them sit again. You can repeat the stir (or flip) until you get your desired crispiness.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Country Hash Browns with Sausage Gravy Recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Country Hash Browns with Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb. frozen hash browns no added oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper any color, stem removed, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small Jalapeño seeds and veins removed, thinly sliced (optional)
- chives for garnish
- Cook the vegan sausage in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat until browned. Sprinkle flour over the sausage along with the onion powder, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk and tamari or soy sauce and stir with a whisk. Keep stirring over the heat until the gravy starts to thicken. Turn down the heat and keep warm.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spread the frozen hash browns over the pan and cook undisturbed for 6-10 minutes, then flip and cook 5 minutes more, until they are starting to brown.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and bell pepper and stir to combine. Flatten the potatoes and vegetables again in an even layer and let them sit until they brown again. You can keep flipping and browning the hash browns until they become as crispy as you like.
- Serve hash drizzled with breakfast gravy and garnished with chives.