Everyone loves nachos, and many of us love Middle Eastern flavors, so why not fuse them together?! Well… I am just so excited to share this Ultimate Greek Nachos recipe with you!
In reality, this is a simple Mediterranean nachos style salad with pita chips and all the fix-ins layered on top; it’s just such a fun way of serving these components as an ultimate nachos recipe, and turns it into a true work of art, making it that much more exciting to share and enjoy!
You can use a perfect large tomato, but just for fun, I used colorful heirloom cherry tomatoes along with a crisp hothouse cucumber, and black kalamata olives.
To make this Greek nacho recipe easier, you can use store-bought tzatziki and/or hummus in place of the 2 sauces in this recipe, but I feel the tahini dressing really makes the dish.
We have a delicious tahini sauce with a pinch of nutritional yeast for an extra creamy flavor and a B12 boost. Plus, these plant-based nachos have date paste for a bit of sweetness to balance out the flavors, and a fresh, dairy-free almond yogurt-based tzatziki sauce with herbs.
Vegan Nachos with Tofu
The grand feature of this dish is the tofu feta. If you think you’ll miss cheese-eating plant-based….be prepared to be amazed. The tofu is drained and pressed of its liquid, cubed, and marinated in miso paste (bringing that cheesy, smoky flavor) red wine vinegar, lemon for tang, and fresh herbs.
To press the tofu, use a tofu press or wrap in a paper towel and place on a plate with another plate on top. Put something heavy on top. Press for around 15 minutes while you prepare the other veggies.
Use my discount code PLANTBASEDCOOKING_10 and receive 10% off your order of The TofuBud.
The ultimate result is a very close look, feel and taste of feta! The lemon, mint, and dill in the tzatziki sauce bring this dish to the next level, and all of these combined create a delicious, fresh, bursting with flavor; sweet, savory, and crunchy stacked bites of goodness.
Be sure to check out some great pairings to add to your appetizer menu:
I must be on a kick because I recently posted a yummy Middle Eastern salad that also features these beautiful tofu feta bites.
The tofu is the protein in this greek style nachos dish. Then you have the almond yogurt which adds some protein and probiotics. The tomatoes and cucumber are beneficial for lycopene, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
The sesame seeds and date paste offer a dose of iron, olives for essential fatty acids, and fresh herbs and lemon juice offer detoxifying effects. The only thing you will have to monitor is eating too many pita chips!
Aside from being a little messy, these greek nachos with hummus are a perfect appetizer for the big game or family gathering or opening snack for any get-together and will be the talk of the party.
This dish is so fun, fresh, satisfying, and colorful…just an overall crowd-pleaser.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Ultimate Greek Nachos recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Ultimate Greek Nachos
- 4 whole wheat pitas cut into 6 wedges each
- 1 large hothouse cucumber chopped ¼”
- ½ cup black or Kalamata olives chopped ¼”
- 1 large tomato chopped ¼”
- 1/3 cup mint chopped
- 1 12-14 oz package firm organic tofu drained and pressed for 30 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic rough chopped
- 1 Tbl light miso
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbl lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 Tbl lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 Tbl maple syrup
- 2 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic crushed or finely grated
- 3/4 cup unsweetened homemade yogurt (or a small carton store-bought)
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and minced or grated
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp mint chopped
- 1 tsp dill chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 °
- Press tofu and cut into cubes about ½” large.
- Make the tofu feta marinade by whisking the garlic, miso, oregano, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and salt in a bowl large enough to hold the tofu cubes.
- Transfer the tofu to the bowl with the marinade. Stir through to coat the tofu and combine well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tahini & Tzatziki Dressings
- Make the Tahini Dressing and Tzatziki by blending the ingredients in two separate bowls until smooth.
- Lay the pita wedges in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes or until they start to brown and get crispy. Remove from oven and assemble the nachos.
- On a large platter, place all of the pita bread. Top with a sprinkling of cucumber, olives, tomatoes, mint, and large crumbled pieces of tofu feta. Drizzle several tablespoons of tahini dressing and/or tzatziki on top and another sprinkling of mint.