This flavorful vegan creamed spinach is so yummy, you won’t believe it’s vegan. Yes, it is possible to make a delicious, creamy spinach vegan recipe without added fat or bacon.
Let’s be honest, we love the taste of fat and bacon but we know it’s not in the best interest of our health. So, are you willing to try something new or are your taste buds still adjusting?
How to make vegan creamed spinach
This creamed spinach vegan recipe is so creamy you won’t miss all the unhealthy fat. Coconut milk is good in this dish but you can make this vegan creamed spinach with almond milk or use one of the other options listed. If you’re feeling experimental you could even add some spice or try a bit of curry.
You could try a spin on the Indian dish, saag paneer but without the cheese they use. By adding the Indian herbs and spices you’ve kept the same great recipe but now with a wonderful new flavor profile. This is a great way to get this vegan creamy spinach recipe in rotation on your weekly meal plan, you won’t regret it.
If you’re moving in the direction of eliminating animal products, good job! I know at times, it’s not easy. Sometimes you struggle with the little devil sitting on your shoulder encouraging you to “go ahead and just eat it… you’ll do better tomorrow.”
Read my newest article questioning if Red and Processed Meat Are Really OK? Debunking the Latest Hype.
It’s not always easy, but try these alternative plant-based recipes:
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Scalloped Potato and Cabbage Casserole
- Roasted Curried Cauliflower with Peas
- Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans
- Mashed Cauliflower with Gravy
I believe that one of the secrets to maintaining a diet you love (not really a diet, but a lifestyle of eating) is having foods that you love.
So, let’s add this vegan cream spinach to your list of recipes that make the cut and also, make you healthier. Feel guiltless eating this vegan creamy spinach and make it a tradition to years to come!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Creamed Spinach recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or bagged spinach remove long stems and wash the fresh spinach
- 1/2 yellow or white onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (or 1/2 cup homemade)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond, soy or lite coconut milk, (or homemade almond)
- OR 3/4 tsp coconut extract mixed with 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 8 pieces tempeh bacon optional
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbl cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and the chopped onions. Saute until the onions start to turn translucent. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the fresh spinach and continue to cook until it starts to wilt, adding more broth to keep it from sticking.
- In the meantime, pan-fry the slices of tempeh bacon or place them on a silpat and into a 350° F oven for about 8-10 minutes until they start to turn brown and caramelize. Flip them over half way through. Remove and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the non-dairy milk, mustard, nutritional yeast, cornstarch and nutmeg if using.
- Add to the pan with the spinach and stir continuously until the sauce starts to thicken. If it's too thick add a little more broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the tempeh bacon, if using, and stir just to combine.