Mushroom veggie tacos with corn tortillas…tacos for lunch, dinner or even breakfast. Yes, breakfast. And, they are a great addition if you’re trying to lose a few pounds.
These are full of fiber, protein, and vibrant color with all the veggies used here. You can get creative and mix your favorite veggies each time you make these. I’ve been on a taco kick, and I don’t think that’s going away anytime soon.
Corn tortillas have virtually no oil. Trader Joe’s brand Ingredients: stone-ground corn, water, traces of lime. Can’t beat that! So I’m encouraging you to experiment with your taco ingredients.
I fill these babies with sautéed mushrooms, onions, peppers, and beans. You can get creative and use different veggies like cauliflower, chickpeas, yams, zucchini, chard, carrot, etc..and switch up the spice.
The beautiful part about this dish is that you get to play and have fun with this recipe! The more veggies you add, the more fiber, flavor, and textures you get to enjoy.
I like to substitute hummus for cheese. It adds the kick and creaminess that you get from a good cheese. If hummus doesn’t satisfy your cheese fix, there are some wonderful shredded dairy cheese alternatives you can use that taste and melt just like cheddar cheese.
Any Meal Can be a Plant-Based Meal!:
- Roasted Veggie Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Chili
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
- Pita Falafel Sandwich with Tahini Sauce
- Chickpea Flour Omelet with Curried Greens
It’s always fun to top these mushroom veggie tacos off with fresh chopped tomatoes, lettuce, a little avocado for added omegas and creaminess, and salsa. You can definitely sub the regular lettuce and tomatoes for cabbage slaw or a pinch of sprouts works well, too.
Here’s a basic recipe for these fun veggie tacos.
To heat the corn tortillas, put them into the toaster oven and “toast” them until they are just crispy and still easy to fold in half. Fill with cooked veggies, top with refreshing toppers, serve, and devour!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for these Mushroom Veggie Tacos! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
This recipe is Certified Plantricious
because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Mushroom Veggie Tacos
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 4 oz mushrooms diced
- 1/2 large bell pepper diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes drained and diced (organic)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and pepper or to taste
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce diced
- 1 large avocado diced
- 1/3 cup hummus (optional)
- 1/3 cup salsa
- Add red onion, mushrooms and bell pepper to a sauté pan with a little water. Saute until tender.
- Add the drained canned tomatoes, the spices and salt and pepper.
- Toast corn tortillas in toaster oven until crisp but pliable.
- (Optional) Smear a tablespoon or so of hummus on one side of the corn tortilla. Fill the taco with the veggie mixture.
- Top with the tomatoes, lettuce, avocado and salsa.