This Baked Apples with Cashew Cream recipe is an easy dessert to make. We all love apples, and I bet you often have them around your house, too. Baking apples is a great way to use up those that aren’t quite as fresh, too. And this is the perfect recipe for the holidays because it’s such a beautiful presentation.
Depending on the size of your apples, one might be too much for one person. That’s why cutting them in half is an option. And, it is easier than trying to core them.
However, it is possible to core them with a small knife (see video below), but I find it much easier with an apple corer. I also like to peel a bit around the top of the apple. If you have cut them in half, you don’t need to do this.
Any type of apple will do for baking. I like to use organic pink ladies or honeycrisp apples. The peels are quite nutritious and good to eat, so organic is best.
If you have a craving for some more sweet recipes, have a look at these:
- Almond Jam Dot Cookies
- Baked Pears with Cardamom
- Blueberry Lemon Coconut Bars
- Peach Crisp
- Vegan Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
The recipe calls for walnuts to be used because they’re one of the best nuts you can eat. Both walnuts and almonds have the best heart-healthy profiles. Not everyone on a whole food, plant-based diet likes to eat nuts. However, there is evidence that, in moderation, nuts are good for us.
Unless you’re trying to reverse heart disease, according to Dr. Esselstyn. He may be lightening up just a bit. Here’s a quote from his website. “For people with no heart disease who want to eat nuts and avocado and are able to achieve a cholesterol of 150 and LDL of 80 or under without cholesterol-lowering drugs, some nuts and avocado are acceptable.”
Use a sprinkling of cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup. It will make your whole house smell good.
The cashew cream is made by soaking the raw nuts in hot water for at least an hour and blending them with water, maple syrup, and vanilla.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Bake Apples with Cashew Creme Recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Baked Apples with Cashew Cream
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Core, hollow out, and peel the top ¼ of the apple skins. Or, cut in half and core.
- Place the apples in an 8-9” baking dish. If the apples don’t sit up, trim a small slice from the bottom of each.
- After the cashews have soaked for at least 1 hour, drain them and place into a blender with ½ cup of the fresh water, the maple syrup and vanilla. Blend until smooth. This may take several minutes. Remove with a spatula to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Drizzle the apples with 1 Tbl maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon. Stuff the centers with a few walnuts.
- Pour ¼ cup water into the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and bake for about 30-45 minutes. Check for softness and bake longer if needed.
- Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
- Before serving, top with chilled cashew cream and a sprinkling of granola.
Granola included Cashew Cream, 1 Tablespoon = 88 calories