Since pears are not always ripe when you purchase them, a great way to serve them is by baking them, such as this Baked Pears recipe. Pears are a white food that’s actually good for you. They are hydrating, high in antioxidants, high source of vitamin c, soluble fiber, just like oats, they too help control your cholesterol levels.
They make for a wonderful snack, add sweetness to salads, and make a wonderful dessert when poached or baked with sweet spices. This recipe calls for cardamom, which is a magical spice.
Not many people know this but spices offer amazing health benefits, especially because they are condensed and dried into a fine powder.
Cardamom not only smells and tastes heavenly but its also a spice that is sweet and rich in various vitamins and micronutrients like niacin, phosphorus, thiamine, calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin C, and zinc.
Here’s a few more spiced recipes to benefit your health and your taste-buds:
- Chia Spice Apple Muffins
- Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- Carrot Chia Pudding with Indian Spices
- Healing Turmeric Smoothie
Cardamom is a medicinal herb has the ability to increase fat metabolism in the body by burning fat and relieves stomach upset, hyperacidity and constipation.
Cut pears in half, and score the seeds with a melon baller. Then remove the string that goes along its center.
Combine the wine, cardamom and vanilla in your baking dish. You’ll then place the pears cut side up over this mixture and pour lemon juice and sugar on top. Cover and bake, leaving the last 5 minutes to broil uncovered.
The cardamom and pear combine to make a wonderful dessert, especially after a rich meal. Helping you digest and bring balance back to your system, and of course leaving you feeling satisfied and indulged in a guilt-free way.
If you would like to enhance this beauty, serve warm with some cold dairy-free coconut or vanilla ice cream, maybe some nuts too.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Baked Pears with Cardamom! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Baked Pears with Cardamom
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 3 firm ripe pears halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 Tbl lemon juice
- 2 Tbl sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine wine, cardamom and vanilla in 8″ square baking dish.
- Place pears cut-side up in baking dish and pour lemon juice over. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover pan with foil, place on the middle rack in the over, and bake 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove foil and move pan to top rack. Broil 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Watch carefully.
- Transfer pears to a serving place and drizzle with juice from the pan.