Eating Chai Spice Apple Muffins for breakfast is a given, but they are also yummy for a snack when the munchies hit or even for dessert.
These delicious muffins are made with good-for-you ingredients such as old-fashioned oats, whole wheat flour, apples and a few of your favorite nuts. I used pecans in this recipe. Substitute an egg with a flax egg which is easily made with ground flaxseeds and water.
Or, you could use aquafaba which is the juice from a can of chickpeas. Yes, it acts like an egg since it has the protein from the beans in it. If you’ve never heard of aquafaba, here’s a list of 20 things you can make with aquafaba. You can also whip aquafaba into beautiful white peaks. Who knew.
Chai spice mix is a warming aromatic delight from India often used in tea and it’s easy to make your own mixture with ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg with a pinch of cloves. You could use this to add to your tea, as well, about 1/4 tsp per cup.
Looking for some more snacks? Try these recipes:
- Banana Bread with Maple Glaze
- Blueberry Lemon Coconut Bars
- Carrot Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
- Spicy Molasses Bars
There’s a touch of maple syrup in this recipe BUT if you’re staying away from sugar, you could substitute stevia, 1 tsp powdered stevia or 6-9 drops of liquid stevia. Here’s a stevia conversion chart that may come in handy.
You’ll love the wonderful smell of chai spice floating through your house while these chai spice apple muffins are cooking and you may even want to make a double batch because they’ll disappear in a flash.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Chai Spice Apple Muffins Recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Chai Spice Apple Muffins
- 1 Tbl ground flaxseeds
- 3 Tbl water
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp chai spice mix (see recipe below)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 1-2 medium apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans or other nuts like walnuts
Chai Spice Mix
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Mix the ground flaxseeds and water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- If not using a non-stick muffin tray, spray lightly with oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: oats, oat flour, baking soda, all of the chai spice ingredients, and salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: apple sauce, non-dairy mik, mashed banana, vanilla extract and flax egg.
- Add the dry ingredeints to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Place a dollop of muffin mixture into each muffin tin and top with a sprinkling of chopped apples.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean.
non-alcoholic vanilla extract preferred