I’m on a mission to find great veggie, whole food burgers. I have one recipe here that uses black beans, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes.
But, this black bean and beet burger has a little kick with chipotle chili powder and great smoky flavor added to our healthy beets and hearty black beans.
This whole foods beet burger recipe is rich in protein and heart-healthy. I’ve packed it full of black beans, rice, beets, and raisins. Yes, raisins! The raisins add a little sweetness along with a punch of vitamins like B vitamins, iron, potassium and good carbs for energy!
To roast the beets, remove the leaves, wash and put them on a large piece of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and close up the foil.
Put into a pie tin or small baking pan and roast in a 400-degree oven for about 20-30 minutes. Then peel and proceed with this easy beet burger recipe.
Check out these plant-based sandwich ideas:
Whole food, plant-based diets do not use eggs, so for these smoky black bean beet burgers we’ve substituted the egg for 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tablespoons of water, which is referred to as a “flax egg”.
Once you’ve roasted your beets, this recipe starts to come together easily. Place the flax egg, rice, beets, raisins, chipotle and spices in your food processor. You’ll process until these ingredients are combined well, then continue by adding in the black beans and oats.
Coarsely chop and allow to rest for about 10 minutes. This will allow the oats to soak up the liquid, offering a mix that is easy to mold into patties.
Each beetroot and black bean burger patty is about 1 cup of this mixture and should make about 6 patties. Pan fry or bake, and you are ready to serve!
I’ve included the bun in the nutrition label, but since topping varies, these are not included. These beetroot and black bean burgers with Ezekiel sprouted buns offer over 9 grams of protein and fiber! And this beet burger calories is 234 each.
These were inspired by the “Best-Ever Beet and Bean Burgers” post at thekitchn.com.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Black Bean Beet Burger recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Black Bean, Beet Burger
- 1 Tbl ground flaxseeds
- 1 can low sodium black beans rinsed and drained (or or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 can beets or 1 raw beet, peeled and steamed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder or more if you like it hot
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- whole grain buns Ezekiel sprouted is a great brand
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put the ground flaxseeds, rice, beets, raisins, chipotle and spices in a food processor and process until well combined.
- Add the black beans and oats and process a few times until the beans are coarsely chopped. Add more oats if the mixture seems too wet. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the moisture is reduced by the oats. Taste for seasoning and add more to your liking.
- Scoop about a cup into your hands and shape it into a patty.
- Pan fry for about 2-3 minutes a side until they have nicely browned or bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes a side.
- Serve with all of the fixins' - tomato, lettuce, pickles, onion and avocado.