Cauliflower just happens to be one of those super healthy cruciferous vegetables that is not only tasty, but can also be found in a plethora of recipes, but it great in this simple mashed cauliflower with gravy recipe.
We know now that potatoes are full of vitamins and not to be avoided unless they’re fried or smothered in butter, but sometimes we like to mix it up and this mashed cauliflower is a great substitute.
It’s easier than potatoes because you don’t have to bother with peeling the skin and it’s super easy to steam the cauliflower which retains all of the nutrients. I prefer steaming over boiling for this reason.
Mashed cauliflower is perfect for a fancy dinner or a quick weekday meal.
This recipe may even be quicker than making it with potatoes because you don’t have to bother with peeling the skin. And, it’s super easy to steam the cauliflower which retains all of the nutrients.
I absolutely prefer steaming over boiling for this reason. Mashed cauliflower is perfect for a fancy dinner or a quick weekday meal with Marinated stuffed mushrooms or Eggplant steak and steamed kale. Either way, it’ll be sure to satisfy.
Try pairing this side with another plant-based recipe:
If you have a food processor, it makes the job easier. Just add the steamed cauliflower along with nutritional yeast, which will add vitamin B12, the unsweetened non-dairy milk and salt, and pepper to taste. Add raw or roasted garlic, too, for a variation. Then serve it with this easy-to-make vegan gravy.
The tamari and nutritional yeast are the main flavor components in the mash, offering that salty, savory, umami flavor that satisfies. You may even use miso paste, instead of tamari, to keep that umami flavor and also offer a healthy dose of digestive enhancing probiotics.
There’s something satisfying about gravy…maybe it reminds us of days with the folks or of our holiday celebrations. This easy vegan gravy recipe is great with this meatless BBQ meatloaf recipe, or with your Thanksgiving sides, as well.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Mashed Cauliflower with Gravy Recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Mashed Cauliflower with Gravy
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves removed and cut into pieces
- 2 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower into a pan with a steamer basket and about 1 inch of water. Steam until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Place in the container of your food processor. Add the nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk and salt & pepper. Whir until smooth, adding more milk as needed to thin.
- Add flour, onion powder, and nutritional yeast to a pan and toast over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, whisking constantly to keep it from clumping.
- Add and soy sauce to the gravy. Stir until thickened and season with salt and pepper.