Oil-free roasted potatoes don’t sound possible, right? You’re in luck because this recipe absolutely does the trick at making oil free crispy potatoes! And, I also added red peppers and onions to the mix. Delish!
Oil-free roasted potatoes are a perfect side dish when looking for whole food plant based potato recipes.
Since potatoes are back on the menu, (see this article, “Potatoes: To Eat or Not to Eat”) I’m looking for ways to use them without any added fat. I like steaming instead of boiling them since it keeps more of the nutrients in the potato instead of leaching out into the water.
Have a look at these plant-based potato recipes:
- Scalloped Potato and Cabbage Casserole
- Sweet Potato Veggie Lasagna
- Potato Salad with Tofu Scramble, to name a few.
How to roast Potatoes without oil
Can you roast potatoes without oil? The trick to these oil free roasted potatoes is to steam them a little so they’re a bit cooked. Then, you’re going to add a little flour to the pan after you drain them, cover and shake like crazy!
Now your potatoes should be a little smashed and dusted with flour. This is one of the secrets to making the potatoes crispy and for these roasted potatoes without oil.
Now that these oil-free roasted potatoes are all coated, they are ready to put back in the oven!
Make clean up easy by using a non-stick cookie sheet, or a little non-stick spray. You could even use parchment paper.
Sprinkling salt and black pepper will boost these oven roasted potatoes without oil natural grounding flavor. To make them a little smoky, you can add some sweet or smoky paprika or chipotle seasoning blend.
I love making different kinds of sauces for these crispy potatoes without oil to make it an ultra-comforting snack. A smoky Chipotle aioli using my egg-free mayonnaise and chipotle spices, or adding cilantro lime and garlic for a fresh zing. You can make a simple sugar-free ketchup. Oh, so many options!
Choosing plant-based sides are easy. Take a look at a few more:
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash
- Low Fat Broccoli Salad
- Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- Potato Salad with Tofu Scramble
- Spiced Baked Sweet Potato Fries
These can be eaten on their own, and if you haven’t already devoured them all, these make a wonderful accompaniment to my favorite go-to plant-based burgers like these Black Bean Mushroom Burgers, or these Falafel Burgers.
Take a look around the site for more whole food plant based no oil recipes!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this No Oil Roasted Potatoes recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Oil-Free Roasted Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1″ pieces.
- 2 large yams peeled and cut into 1″ pieces.
- 1 large pepper any color, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 large red onion cut into 1″ pieces
- 2-3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes, onion, and peppers in a large saute pan with a little water and once water is boiling, steam for about 5 minutes until the potatoes are crisp-tender.
- Drain the steamed vegetables, but leave them in the pot (don’t put the pot back on the heat), and sprinkle the flour over.
- Put the lid back on the pot, and shake it vigorously for a few seconds. You are marring the edges, which will facilitate the crunchiness of the potatoes later on.
- Dump the potatoes onto a sheet pan lightly sprayed with oil or use parchment paper or a silpat, and make sure they are in a single layer (don’t crowd the potatoes, or the edges won’t get crispy). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes at 450 degrees F, turning after half way done, but watch them carefully so as not to burn.