Fourth of July is almost here and potato salad is one of those things you often see at holiday gatherings and it’s hard to resist. This plant-based / vegan Potato Salad with tofu scramble really hits the spot as the scramble mimics hard boiled eggs.
I love making this tofu potato scramble in the summer, but I also find it great for any season as the potatoes are grounding.
Also, the curry in this dish offers an anti-inflammatory boost to the immune system, making this a wonderful winter dish. You can even add some chickpeas for an even higher protein punch!
This tofu potato scramble vegan dish is sure to satisfy and keep you going on until your next meal. One would generally classify this dish as a lunch dish, but it’s so hearty, you can even enjoy it for breakfast as well! Bring it to a picnic potluck as a fun salad that will surprise and delight.
I like plant-based potato salad with lots of pickles, adding a little tang and crunch along with the celery. Add in the hint of curry, which is optional, definitely takes this salad to the next level.
For this vegan potato scramble, I used my homemade mayo recipe, which is made with tofu and has less oil and fat than any mayonnaise you can find on the market.
Enjoy a few more plant-based dishes at your next party:
I think you’ll enjoy this tangy, crunchy, slightly sweet version of tofu potato salad. Your dairy-loving friends will love this too, they wouldn’t even know it’s not egg salad unless you mention it!
What are you having for the 4th? I’d love to hear in the comments below.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Potato Salad with Tofu Scramble ! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Potato Salad with tofu Scramble
- 1 pound potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 3 stalks celery 1/4″ chopped
- 5-6 sweet or dill pickles, chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/3 cups homemade mayonnaise or store-bought vegan
- 1 Tbl yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or sweetener of your choice. Adjust to your taste if you like it less sweet
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 package firm organic tofu drained
- 1/3 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder optional
- 1 shake cayenne pepper optional
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in a small amount of water in a non-stick pan. Add the spices and sauté until the onion are mostly tender.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, salt & pepper, and stir to combine.
- The mixture should turn yellow from the spices and begin to look like eggs.
- Continue to cook until most of moisture from the tofu has cooked off and it’s heated through, stirring frequently so as not to stick. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the cubed potatoes by steaming for about 20 minutes until tender, then drain and set aside to cool. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the potatoes have cooled, put them into a large bowl along with the tofu scramble, onion, pickles an celery.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients, vegan mayo, mustard, vinegar, sweetener, in a small bowl and pour over vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss together and refrigerate until cool.
Label uses homemade mayonnaise recipe