This homemade tofu mayonnaise is so quick and easy, I wish I had started making it sooner. Although tofu and cashews have some fat, this mayonnaise has way less than store-bought. And, if you prefer, you can leave out the cashews and just use tofu.
Switching to a plant-based diet means we stay away from extra added fat and oil which some store-bought vegan mayonnaise has. This is one staple that you should have in your refrigerator all the time. You can make it one day during the week and it should last you the whole week.
Because this makes about 1 cup you’ll find it easier to use a small high-powered blender such as a NutriBullet or a Ninja unless you’re making a double batch. When there’s very little in the bottom of a regular blender such as a Vitamix or a Blendtec the blades have a harder time doing their job.
Especially if you put it in these cute little mason jars. One half of a block of tofu should make enough for this size jar which is 8 ounces. Keep the other half of the tofu in water for another recipe during your week.
We need to be mindful of all that we eat otherwise these little additions can add up to increased cholesterol and weight gain. It may not taste exactly like your favorite mayo, but you’ll find your taste buds adjusting with time and your cholesterol levels thanking you.
Keep this on hand as a staple for your sandwiches, salad dressings or for sauces.
I also have a recipe for sour cream and they are pretty similar. Here’s the sour cream recipe.
Use on your favorite sandwich or a recipe that calls for mayonnaise:
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Homemade TofuMayonnaise! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Homemade Tofu Mayonnaise
- 1/2 14 oz. block firm organic tofu drained
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in warm water for 30 or more minutes
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tsp date syrup or one Medjool date, seed removed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened soy milk to thin if needed
- Place drained tofu, drained cashews, and the rest of ingredients into a high powdered blender. It's best to use a small high-powered blender such as a NutriBullet unless you're doubling the recipe. You don't need to press the tofu. If you're not using the cashews, you can use a food processor.
- Blend, scraping sides until the mayonnaise is smooth and creamy. Add up to a couple of tablespoons more of soy milk to thin to your desired thickness.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking.