I hope that since you’re on board for a plant-based life that you’re discovering how to make delicious plant-based recipes. Have you branched out and experimented with your own recipe creations, too?
This Broccoli Waldorf Salad was an experiment for me. I love any salad that is tangy and sweet AND, I like to use up what’s in my fridge. I had only a little raw broccoli but really wanted a broccoli salad.
Well, this vegetarian Waldorf salad needed expanding so the first thing I thought of was chopped apple. Then, instead of the traditional walnuts, I added some dry roasted peanuts.
You probably know the traditional one made with mayo and bacon. Ummm not on our diet, right?
It was easy to throw together the dressing, too. Instead of vegan mayonnaise, I used unsweetened cashew yogurt (a new find for me) along with a squeeze of mustard, a little apple cider vinegar, and some maple syrup.
The yogurt has a lot less fat than the mayonnaise would, too. When I made this Waldorf salad with broccoli for my lunch, I did not measure it.
That’s the place that I’d like you to get so that meal-making starts to be more fun and less of a chore (less clean-up, too). But, of course, I have the recipe measurements for you below.
Keep your taste buds satisfied with these crisp, refreshing salads:
- Arugula, Apple, Beet Salad
- Caprese Salad with Blackberry & Watermelon
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Lentil Cucumber Salad
If you are sensitive to raw broccoli, a great way to still eat this vegan Waldorf salad is to blanch the raw broccoli in a little boiling water for a few minutes so it’s not quite as raw. Then drop it in ice water to stop the cooking.
I’ve tried this before and it works well, too. Once you get more used to eating this many raw veggies, you’ll probably become less sensitive.
As always with recipes on this site, you are welcome to leave out nuts and seeds if they are not on your diet.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Broccoli Waldorf Salad! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Broccoli Waldorf Salad
- 1 head broccoli stems trimmed and chopped and tops, cut into florets and
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 apple seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup peanuts or other nuts, like walnuts
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain vegan yogurt homemade or small carton vegan store-bought
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Pour over broccoli salad ingredients and stir to combine.