Fresh, flavorful, and easy to prepare, this full of good-for-you, protein-rich lentil cucumber salad definitely hits the spot. Fresh cucumber, radish, celery…you can put just about anything with a crunch into this salad. I also like the addition of (optional) black Kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes, which pumps up the flavor.
There’s a new brand of sun-dried tomatoes on the market that, although not packed in oil, is moist and easy to chew. Top with a simple dressing and you’re ready for lunch.
Lentils are a wonderful way to include low-fat, low calorie, plant-based protein and fiber along with minerals, to your diet. They take some time to prepare, so you can always opt for the low sodium lentils packed in a carton ( better option than canned). Lentils also are high in iron and vitamin C, making this a wonderful way to enjoy your vitamins!
Lentils are traditionally used in many Middle Eastern staples, and since I am going with the theme, I love serving this salad as a side to my roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes with tahini or a dollop of tzatziki sauce, and a baked falafel burger.
Why not make your picnic or lunch plant-based with these recipes:
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Potato Salad with Tofu Scramble
- Roasted Potato & Green Bean Salad
- Tempeh Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Black Bean-Mango Salsa
This hearty salad can also be enjoyed on its own and is a wonderful picnic dish that can be enjoyed both in the spring and summer as well as in the colder months. Just add some fresh garlic, lemon instead of balsamic and fresh herbs like basil, oregano or thyme for a winter immune boosting punch. Mint is a nice addition for the warmer months.
It’s amazing how fresh and filling this salad is, and so low in calories and fat. You can make a whole batch of this salad and stay satiated all week. Middle Eastern dishes are so much fun to play with; the flavors are so fresh and they love using lots of veggies.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Lentil Cucumber Salad recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Lentil Cucumber Salad
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tsp date syrup
- Put lentils and water in a sauce pan and cook about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and add to a large bowl.
- Add the diced cucumber, red onion, red pepper, Kalamata olives (optional) and sun-dried tomatoes to the bowl.
- Whisk the dressing in a separate bowl and pour over. Mix thoroughly and salt & pepper to taste.