How many healthy plant-based, vegan sour cream options do you see on the market these days? Practically none! So I decided to create a simple and quick way to make one that will last in the fridge all week. This is how to make vegan sour cream without cashews.
Get ready to add a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream on your tacos, sandwiches, salad bowls, soups and chili, fully loaded nachos, and more.
Silken Tofu Sour Cream Recipe
The base in this recipe is Silken tofu. Regular will do in a pinch but may not be as smooth.
You’ll blend the tofu with whole cloves of garlic and apple cider vinegar, which adds it’s tanginess. If you’d like, use the Bragg’s Cider Vinegar “with the Mother” to offer a punch of gut healing bacteria. This is the “live” version and aids with digestion by offering a boost of probiotics.
You can also use sprouted tofu, which assists in the breakdown of the soy, as soy may be harder to digest for some.
This plant-based sour cream recipe is considered a Friendly Plantricious recipe. If you’d like to learn more about this seal for Plantricious recipes and how they reflect a plant-based diet, read my latest article, The Trusted Plantricious Certified Seal.
Soy is a great source of plant-based protein. It balances hormones, contains all eight essential amino acids and offers nutrients vital to maintaining skin health, and lowers cholesterol.
Tofu is also low in fat, making it a great low-fat protein source. If you are allergic to soy or are avoiding the consumption of soy, you’re welcome to create this creamy sour cream using soaked cashews.
I made roasted veggie tacos today; topped them with avocado, chipotle cashew sauce, some sprouts and some vegan sour cream. This was one satisfying dish!
Here’s a few recipes to try your home-made plant-based sour cream with:
- Chili Topped with Potatoes
- Enchilada Casserole
- Mushroom Veggie Tacos
- Vegetarian Chili
- Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo Salsa
Isn’t it amazing that we now have simple, natural ways of creating our favorite comfort foods in a way that won’t overload your body with harmful toxins, is made in a cleaner, more earth-friendly way? I find this to be quite exciting…. How do you enjoy this Vegan Sour Cream recipe?
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Plant-Based, Vegan Sour Cream! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Plant-Based, Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 carton firm organic tofu regular Silken (non-Silken will work, too). About 8 oz.
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbl unsweetened soy milk
- There's no need to press the tofu. Using a blender or food processor, place all of the ingredients and blend well, scraping the sides to make sure all is incorporated.
- Add more soy milk if needed to thin.