Apples, apples, apples, there are always apples in the store… What a treat since they are so good for us. They offer a gut supportive fiber which is most probably why the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” so popular. And, this Vegan Waldorf Salad with Apples & Raisins is a great way to eat them.
The dressing, usually made with mayonnaise, can be made with this homemade vegan mayonnaise recipe which has far fewer calories and fat or with store-bought.
You don’t need to peel the apples if you buy organic and it’s better to keep the peel on anyway because that’s where you’ll find most of its nutrition.
You can mix up this vegan Waldorf salad by adding different nuts or seeds, such as sunflower seeds or pecans. I love using walnuts since they offer some brain-protective components. I love using grapes for added freshness in the summer, and use (unsulphured, no sugar added) raisins in the winter for some hearty, grounding sweetness.
And, instead of raisins, you could use chopped dates which offer some beautiful minerals to fortify your body. The crunchy, tangy, sweetness of this salad is sure to please.
It’s all about the flavors and textures combines in this delicious dish. If you want to boost your salad with a clean protein, you could add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas and will keep you full and satisfied for a longer period of time.
Add plant-based recipes to your next pot-luck:
- Scalloped Potato and Cabbage Casserole
- Potato Salad with Tofu Scramble
- Roasted Veggie Tacos With Chipotle Sauce
- Roasted Squash Salad with Pomegranate and Pepitas
This is a great dish to take to a picnic or potluck, and if you’re worried about the apples turning brown, add a squeeze of lemon juice after you’ve cut them to keep them from oxidizing. It also adds a kick of tartness that tastes great with the sweetness of the apples.
This dish could easily satisfy both during the warm months, as well as the cold.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Walford Salad recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Vegan Waldorf Salad
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 large apples chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup halved red grapes or raisins
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 2 seeded Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup Homemade Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Place all of dressing 1 ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Set aside. If using the alternative Dressing 2, mix the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the chopped apples, celery and grapes (and/or raisins) into a large bowl along with the walnuts.
- Add the dressing to the salad ingredients, tossing them together.
- Serve on a bed of greens.
Can’t wait to try this version of Waldorf salad! This is one of my favorites! Yyuummm!!
I know what you mean. There’s something about the sweet and tanginess. I love it too.
Woaah i want to try it tonight. Looks yummy and filing😊 thanks for sharing these recipes
Thanks for the recipe. I included green apples and celery but switched to craisins and vanilla coconut yogurt. I’ll let it marinate overnight and add chopped walnuts per serving for added crunch.
Yum, doesn’t that sound delicious! Thanks for the suggestions. We have a lot of apples on our tree right now so I’ll have to give this a try.
The yogurt sounds really good in this recipe. How did it turn out?