I’ve been trying to mix up my breakfast choices a little more because I’m such a creature of habit and these Sweet Potato Hash Browns hit the spot. Smoothies and oatmeal variations are my usual choices since they are so quick, filling, and nutrient-dense. But there are many other plant-based recipes for breakfast and this Sweet Potato Hash Brown recipe is one of them.
Have a look at the recipe index for some other breakfast ideas. You won’t feel deprived at all when you make these hearty, delicious sweet potato hash browns.
Toasty, sweet, smoky, and savory…..overall just satisfying. This recipe doesn’t use oil to keep this an authentically no fat dish to splurge on.
Serve for breakfast or any meal of the day. Use the lighter sweet potato or the bright orange yams (actually I think they both are sweet potatoes.) As you may know, they are full of excellent plant-based nutrition.
Not only are these babies dynamic, but sweet spuds also offer a super-packed powerful punch of plant-based nutrition. Sweet potatoes (and yams) are an excellent source of vitamin A, in the form of beta-carotene, which is what feeds and nourishes our skin.
They are also a very good source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium (which makes sweet potatoes a great post-workout snack), niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and phosphorus.
Look no further! Here are a few more sweet potato recipes:
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash
- Sweet Potato Veggie Lasagna
- Sweet Potatoes with Swiss Chard
- Greek Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadilla
You might be interested in a couple of videos on this healthy tuber from nutritionfacts.org (see below). It’s a great website with loads of great videos on nutrition studies. Click on the photos below to see each video. Any way you cook them, sweet potatoes are a great choice.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Sweet Potato Hash Browns recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
The benefits of eating sweet potatoes
Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams. chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large red or green pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoky paprika optional
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet and add the onions. Cook until they start to brown slightly.
- Add the pepper, potatoes and spices and continue to cook, turning frequently so as not to burn. If you need to, add a little water and cover to help the cooking process, but uncover and let the water evaporate before serving.
- Salt and pepper to taste.