Who doesn’t love cornbread? Cornbread with soups and stews and of course with chili. It is the perfect staple to any hearty meal.
I think you’ll love this vegan version of cornbread; no eggs or dairy and it’s so easy to make. Check out some of my soup recipes and especially my bean chili recipe.
Vegan cornbread is very simple to make. All you need to do is mix a little flax egg, then the dry ingredients, and add them to the wet ingredients. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and they’re ready to serve. Cornbread is especially delicious with a little vegan honey or date syrup.
Fluffy, golden, and just a little crumbly and perfect for dipping into chili.
Be sure you use fresh, high-quality flour and cornmeal. Applesauce is another key ingredient so try and use organic unsweetened applesauce for better results.
Enjoy this cornbread alongside one of my other recipes:
- Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans
- Chili Topped Potatoes with Corn Salsa
- Tamale Pie
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Corn, Tomato Salad
Your family will enjoy this recipe and it really does make those soup-type meals complete. Don’t blink, because all of the cornbread will be gone in a flash.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Cornbread! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce or 1/4 cup date sugar plus applesauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 8 x 8″ baking pan sprayed with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds and water in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, blend the dry ingredients, unbleached flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, applesauce, and the flax mixture.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until moistened.
- Pour into your prepared 8 x 8″ baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is started to brown and bounces back when touched on top. Be careful not to overcook as it can become dry.