It’s my second month as a member of Recipe Redux and I’m excited to bring you this month’s challenge.
Try using either a pressure cooker, Instant Pot, or slow cooker to keep your kitchen cooler during these hot days! And, what better way to stay cool than with a cool Vichyssoise with Fennel Soup.
This vichyssoise is a little bit of a different, healthier, plant-based take on the traditional vichyssoise which is made with leeks, potatoes, chicken broth, butter, and cream.
But, this version is still oh so creamy! By blending the onions, potatoes and vegetable broth and adding a bit of non-dairy milk it’s just as creamy as the real Vichyssoise.
You can’t go wrong with a creamy, warm soup:
- Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Potato and Kale Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Quinoa Soup
- Tomato, Carrot, Brussels Sprouts Soup
- Mulligatawny Soup
So many people were singing the praises of the Instant Pot that I had to have one and it hasn’t disappointed. It does both slow cooking and pressurized which is great for getting you out of the kitchen faster.
It’s especially great for making beans from scratch. Take a look at my Easy Instant Pot Refried Pinto Beans.
This recipe was easy as could be with a quick chop of your ingredients, and a cook time of only 10 minutes you’re almost done.
All you need to do to finish is either use an immersion blender or carefully put the ingredients into a blender to blend until smooth.
If you’ve never tried fennel, it has a bit of a licorice flavor and is also great roasted in the oven with other vegetables which makes it sweeter.
Though, if it’s not to your liking, just leave it out and you’ll still have one creamy, delicious summer Vichyssoise treat.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vichyssoise with Fennel Recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Vichyssoise with Fennel
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, about 3 medium
- 2 medium sized fennel bulbs washed and the stalks trimmed 1" above the bulb
- ½ yellow onion chopped or 3 large leeks, washed and white part sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk soy, almond or oat or cashew (not coconut) (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 1/2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth (or 1 1/2 qts homemade)
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked in hot water (optional)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- If your pressure cooker has a saute function, turn it on, add the onion and fennel and begin to saute while you chop the potatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot of the pressure cooker, except the non-dairy milk.
- Use the manual setting and set for 10 minutes. After warming up, the timer will begin. When it's finished, either let cool manually or carefully release the pressure valve.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smoothe (or use a blender) and add the non-dairy milk, stirring to combine. Top with chopped green onion or a little of a fennel frond.