When it comes to enhancing the flavors of your favorite dishes, condiments play an important role. However, many popular condiment brands on the market today contain unnecessary oils, added sugars, and salt, which can compromise your health goals.
I was inspired to write this post by a question I received from a follower who was frustrated about not being able to find oil-free condiments in the market. If you’d like to read her question and my response, it’s here.
Since it’s clear that more store-bought oil-free and processed sugar-free condiments are needed for people eating a whole food, plant-based diet, I’ve curated a short list of condiments from various brands that are both oil-free and low in processed sugar and salt. Unfortunately, there aren’t many.
However, this list is probably not complete, so please let me know in the comments if you are aware of other condiment brands that are oil-free and low in processed sugar and salt.
What About Salt
It’s even harder to find condiments without salt.
To help lower your salt intake, I recommend using products with half the amount of salt or ones that are a complete salt substitute. For more details, read Dr. Michael Greger’s article, Healthier Salt Substitutes, about how to reduce salt in your diet.
Here are a few examples of lower-salt products:
- Green Salt, 50% less sodium. A nutrient-rich superfood with demonstrated antioxidant and antihypertensive properties. I believe only available on their website.
- Morton Salt Substitute, Sodium-Free
- Morton Lite Salt, 50% salt
- Dr Fuhrman’s Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend: Sodium-free, sugar-free, oil-free, no MSG.
Let’s dive in and explore these tasty options that will satisfy your need for condiments without compromising your health.
If you’re looking in general for oil-free, sugar, and salt-free food products, you can always be assured that anything from Dr. Joel Fuhrman will be made without oil, salt, or processed sugar. While people who join his membership are afforded a discount, products from Dr. Fuhrman may be more expensive than those you find in your local market. This is also true for food products from the Plant-Strong brand.
A staple in many kitchens, mustard is a versatile condiment that adds a tangy and robust flavor to your dishes. Look for mustard made from mustard seeds, vinegar, water, and natural spices is a healthier option that doesn’t sacrifice taste.
- Westbrae Natural Stoneground Mustard (no salt added): Westbrae Natural provides a stoneground mustard that is free from oils and sugars, allowing you to enjoy its robust flavor without any unnecessary additives.
- Organicville Yellow Mustard (no salt): Made with organic ingredients, Organicville offers a tangy yellow mustard without added oils or sugars. This may be hard to find. Organicville also makes yellow mustard with salt. The difference is 55mg of sodium vs. 0mg.
- Annie’s Mustard: Enjoy the mellow flavor of organic mustard seed, tangy white vinegar, and spices. It has salt
- Annie’s Organic Dijon Mustard: An organic Dijon mustard that is free from both oils and sugars. It has salt.
Traditionally, ketchup is notorious for containing high amounts of added sugars and oils. However, more health-conscious brands now offer sugar-free and oil-free versions of this beloved condiment. These options are often sweetened with natural sweeteners like stevia or rely solely on the natural sweetness of ripe tomatoes.
- Primal Kitchen Unsweetened Organic Ketchup: Primal Kitchen’s ketchup is made with organic tomatoes and sweetened with organic balsamic vinegar, providing a delicious sugar-free and oil-free option. Find at Amazon, Safeway, Target, and Whole Foods, or check their “Find in Store” link. Has less than 2% salt.
- Dr. Fuhrman’s No Oil, No Sugar Ketchup: Dr. Fuhrman has you covered for a no oil, no sugar ketchup; however, it’s more expensive than other store-bought brands. For example, Primal Kitchen’s ketchup is $9.99 for 18oz, and Dr. Fuhrman is $13.89 for 16 oz.
- Tessemae’s Organic Ketchup: Sold at Walmart and Safeway. Find other locations on their “Where to Buy” link. Tessemae’s offers an organic ketchup that is made without added sugars or oils, relying on the natural sweetness of ripe tomatoes. It does have salt.
- Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce: Primal Kitchen offers a classic BBQ sauce that is both oil-free and sugar-free. It combines a smoky flavor with natural sweeteners like dates and organic tomato paste. Has sodium.
- Organicville Original BBQ Sauce, Tangy BBQ Sauce: Oil-free and sugar-free.
A vibrant and flavorful condiment, salsa can be a healthy addition to any meal. Some store-bought salsas contain added sugars and oils, but you can find options that are free from these additives. In fact, you’re more likely to find them without oils or sugar, but many have added salt. Look for salsa which is made from fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, and natural spices. These provide a zesty kick without compromising your dietary goals.
- 365 Brand Thick & Chunky Salsa: This Whole Food Frans is oil-free, organic, and has medium spiciness.
- Green Mountain Gringo Salsa: Green Mountain Gringo produces salsa options that are free from oils and sugars, using fresh ingredients to provide a flavorful experience.
Please note that availability may vary depending on your location. It’s always a good idea to check the ingredient labels and explore local health food stores or online retailers to find these brands or other suitable alternatives that meet your specific dietary preferences.
While making your own condiments is best if you have time. By choosing condiments from brands that prioritize health-conscious options, you can enjoy the flavors you love without the unnecessary oils and sugars.
Experiment with these options and explore other brands to find the perfect oil-free and sugar-free condiments that suit your taste buds and promote your well-being.