Warm and comforting with a touch of sweetness and whole grain goodness, these Banana Chip Almond Butter Muffins are a dessert worthy treat healthy enough for breakfast. Once you’ve made a batch, breakfast becomes a breeze.
I know you all want easy so that’s what you’ll get. Besides, trying to figure out just WHAT to eat on a plant-based diet can be confusing enough, right?
Maybe you want to start off the new year with an emphasis on health so you’ve come to the right place. But, I digress. What exactly is it that makes these muffins so delish?
They start off with banana and almond butter with a touch of maple syrup and coconut or date sugar. Add optional non-dairy chocolate chips and/or chopped walnuts and you’re almost there.
This recipe was contributed by Certified Nutrition Counselor, Donna Manquen, who teaches a 12-week program she developed and teaches to students who are mostly referred from physician offices.
She says, “I am constantly tweaking the program based on feedback from students, but the results for those who really commit have been phenomenal.” What a great testimonial to her program!
Here are a couple of other tasty plant-based muffin recipes.
Oil-Free Almond Cherry Muffins
As for another tasty breakfast or dinner treat, you might also enjoy my Banana Bread with Maple Glaze.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Banana Chip Almond Butter Muffins recipe! If you have a photo, post it on Instagram, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Banana Chip Almond Butter Muffins
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana
- 1 cup almond butter
- 4 Tbl maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 4 Tbl date sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 flax egg 3 Tbl water + 1 Tbl ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup oat flour + 1 Tbl
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup non-dairy mini chips (optional)
- 2/3 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven 350°F
- Spray 12 large muffin tins (no paper liners) with non-stick spray
- By hand or using a mixer, beat banana, almond butter, honey, vanilla and date sugar until combined. Add the flax eggs.
- Combine the dry ingredients, oat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Stir in the oats and the mini chips (the mix will be gooey).
- Fill muffin tins with batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 - 18 minutes
- Test with a toothpick. If they're dry, they're done.
When you call for Almond Butter in a recipe do you use almond butter made from almond oil or and almond butter spread?
Hi Linda, I use almond butter spread made from fresh almonds either roasted or raw and no added oil, just the natural oil in almonds. 👍