This Cauliflower No Cheese Sauce is a great cheese substitute! It is ready in a flash and can be used over potatoes, to top steamed vegetables, or over macaroni.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy meal, this one does the trick. If you’re really in a hurry, microwave your potatoes to get them started.
To start, bring your vegetable broth to a boil. Add in your cauliflower florets and seasonings. Allow this to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender. Once done, allow broth and cauliflower to cool.
You’ll add this to a blender with non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt and pepper (to taste). Blend until you have a smooth, creamy sauce. Add back to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer for about three minutes so the cornstarch can thicken the sauce.
Try these plant-based sauces:
- Homemade Tofu Mayonnaise
- Bitchin’ Sauce Original Recipe
- Plant-Based, Vegan Sour Cream
- Enchilada Sauce
- One-Pot Penne Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
For your potatoes and depending on how many, microwave so they are tender-crisp. For 1 potato, I’d say about 3-5 minutes. Check with your fork. Then, finish them off in a 400-degree oven to create a crisp outter shell. About another 15 minutes.
Steam a little broccoli or saute a carton of sliced mushrooms in water (yes, it really works). Top your spuds with the broccoli and/or sauteed mushrooms. Then, your No Cheese Sauce and dinner is ready!
You might also be interested in this Cashew Cheese Sauce. It has more calories but the cashews give it a beautiful, creamy texture.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Cauliflower No Cheese Sauce! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Cauliflower No Cheese Sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or 3 1/2 cups homemade)
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (or 1/2 cup homemade)
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp smoky paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbl cornstarch
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan and add the cauliflower, garlic, smoky paprika, mustard, and turmeric. Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Do not drain.
- Once the cauliflower mixture has cooled slightly, transfer the ingredients to the blender. Add the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until the sauce becomes very smooth.
- Return the “cheese” sauce back into the saucepan and heat on medium until it has thickened to the right consistency. If it’s too thin, continue to cook until thicker, or, add another tablespoon of cornstarch to a small amount of water in a closed container. Shake to combine and add to “cheese” sauce. Stir and heat until thickened.
- Serve hot over baked potatoes, steamed or roasted vegetables, pasta or as a base for “Cheese” Nachos.