Grilled vegetables can be so versatile. This grilled mushroom, eggplant sandwich uses vegetables that have been broiled or grilled on a BBQ rather than roasted, but either grilled or roasted vegetables will work.
Use them in sandwiches, on salads, in tacos, burgers or as a side. Their natural sweetness comes out with roasting and always satisfies.
If you don’t want to grill them you can easily roast them in the oven. And, it’s easier than you think. You don’t have to salt the eggplant, either. I found that if you just slice your eggplant and mushrooms, lay them on parchment paper (or a lightly sprayed with oil) and slip them under the broiler turned to about 450°, they’re done in about 25 minutes.
Be sure to check them and flip them over to get them evenly browned. Then pile your mushroom eggplant sandwich with sliced heirloom tomatoes, avocado and pile high with lettuce, spinach or even broccoli sprouts.
I like a hearty whole grain bread lightly toasted, but you could use a hamburger bun, as well. You can use homemade mayonnaise for moisture or even a little hummus. These yummy additions may a super nutritious sandwich even your guests will love!
Eggplants are an amazing source of essential vitamins and minerals such as fiber, potassium, selenium, vitamin C, magnesium (wonderful for mood stabilization) and more.
The best way to prepare eggplant, it to salt it and pat it with a towel to release its excess moisture. This helps with the texture once it’s cooked, offering that amazing melt-in-your-mouth feel which is what makes eggplant so delicious.
Portobello Mushrooms, also known as the meatier mushroom. Mushrooms provide plant-based protein and many essential nutrients.
Try these varieties of eggplant and mushroom recipes:
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
- Eggplant Szechuan-Style with Peppers &Mushrooms
- Mushroom Burgundy Sauce Over Polenta
- Mushroom Stroganoff
In addition to disease-fighting antioxidants and phytonutrients, mushrooms contain a high dose of B-complex vitamins: riboflavin for maintaining healthy red blood cells; niacin for clear and smooth skin and healthy functioning of the digestive and nervous systems; and pantothenic acid, which creates energy from the fat, protein, and carbohydrates in the food you eat along with it.
One little tip to keep the flavor and texture of your mushrooms is to wipe the soil off them with a thin towel rather than rinsing them with water.
Make it a well-rounded meal with the addition of my Arugula, Orange Fennel Salad. Just a little sweetness to match the savoriness of this sandwich.
Together, this sandwich is not only delicious, flavorful, and comforting, and satisfying, but it is also an amazing way to feed your body with a punch of immune-boosting goodness.
Add some avocado for creamy texture and dose of omegas, maybe some sprouts and an (oil-free pesto recipe) and you have got yourself one delightful meal you can feel good about! Your body will thank you…
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Grilled Mushroom Eggplant Sandwich! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Grilled Mushroom, Eggplant Sandwich
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 medium eggplants cut into 1/2 slices
- 3-4 large portobello mushrooms cut in 1/2 slices
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6-7 basil leaves chopped
- homemade mayonnaise
- Layer eggplant and mushroom in a large baking dish and top each piece with a little of the balsamic and minced garlic. Make sure all sides are covered. Marinate for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat broiler and place vegetables on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat, parchment paper or sprayed with a little oil. Make sure that they are in one layer.
- Place cookie sheets 6-7" from the broiler. Broil for 5-6 minutes, then flip and broil another 5-6 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn.
- Sprinkler basil leaves over if using.
- For a sandwich, pile mushrooms and eggplant on your bread or bun with homemade mayonnaise or your favorite condiments and top with onions, tomato, avocado, and lettuce.
Leave a Reply