We like to get dinner on the table in a flash and this lentil kale soup is a perfect option. I’m loving the options for quick-cooked legumes. Enter the lentil! It’s so versatile to use in recipes. Use them in soups, casseroles, salads, and even appetizers.
They’re so nutritious for you, offering a healthy nutrient punch of 18 grams of protein in 1 cup, 15 grams of fiber, high doses of folate, potassium, iron, B vitamins and less than 1 gram of fat, they are a fantastic choice if you’re eating a plant-based diet. I added some potato and other veggies to make this the ultra hearty, well rounded and so satisfying, it could very well be considered a meal.
Eating lentils on a plant-based diet is an easy option, especially when products on the market like boxed beans take the time out to cook them. Take, for instance, these pre-made lentils from Trader Joes.
You can, of course, make them yourself, as they are one of the quicker legumes to cook. But if you are looking to make a meal in a short amount of time, this is the way to go!
I love how the kale in this lentil kale soup becomes so tender. It makes enough to keep for left-overs or to serve to guests. This soup also freezes well, so you can make some ahead of time and reheat little to-go containers for when you need a quick and easy lunch on the run.
The garlic and veggies in this soup make a delicious, nutritious and powerful way to ward off a cold or any bugs floating around during these cold months. I especially enjoy serving this dish for Christmas, as the soup itself feels very festive, comforting, and homey. This is one dish the entire family will remember.
Plant-based offers hearty meals. Check out these recipes:
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Beefless Stew
- Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad with Tofu Feta
- Breakfast Burrito with Tofu Scramble
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Hearty Lentil Kale Soup! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Hearty Lentil Soup with Kale
- 2 cups cooked "regular" brown lentils or 1 cup uncooked
- ½ large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or 4 cups homemade)
- 2 cups water
- ½ 6 oz. can tomato paste
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 2-3 large leaves kale stems removed and roughly chopped
- Add ¼ cup of water or veggie broth to a large pot and saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for several minutes until they start to wilt.
- Add a little more broth along with the tomato paste and mix in the paste.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, except the kale, and stir to combine.
- If you are using uncooked lentils, rinse and pick over and add them to the pot along with 2 extra cups of broth or water.
- Cook on medium for about 20 minutes.
- Add the kale, stir, and continue to cook for another 10-20 minutes or until the kale and lentils are soft.