You can vary the tofu scramble part of this recipe by keeping it plain, without onions, or you can add other veggies to your liking. Mushrooms or bell pepper would be a good choice. You can saute them in a little water before you add the crumbled tofu.
The addition of turmeric really makes the tofu look like scrambled eggs, too.
Be sure to check out these other plant-based hearty breakfast recipes:
- Chickpea Flour Omelet with Curried Greens
- Country Hash Browns with Sausage Gravy
- Crust-less Broccoli Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
- Potato Gratin with Jalapeno & Tempeh Bacon
Another option is to make this into a quesadilla. I do that by putting the tortilla on a flat pan, no oil needed. The cook over medium heat watching carefully so it doesn’t burn, but you want it to be crispy with a few brown spots.
Then add your other ingredients on one half of the tortilla and fold over. This recipe is not only great for breakfast, but also for lunch or dinner.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Breakfast Burrito with Tofu Scramble! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Breakfast Burrito with Tofu Scramble
- 4 whole grain tortillas Ezekiet brand sprouted grains
- 1 container firm organic tofu drained and rinsed. No pressing necessary.
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 avocados peel and seed removed
- 1 (15-oz.) can fat-free refried beans or whole beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 green onions sliced including most of the green
- fresh salsa
- hot sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Saute the onions in a small amount of water in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- When onions are mostly soft, crumble the tofu into the pan and add the turmeric. Salt & pepper to taste and stir to combine. The mixture should turn yellow from the spices and begin to look like eggs.
- Heat the refried beans in a small pan over medium heat, stirring so they don't stick. If you're using whole beans, you can mash them a little or us as is
- Wrap the tortillas in a moist paper towel and microwave for a few minutes. Or, use foil and heat in a 300°F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Assemble: Keep the other tortillas wrapped, lay one tortilla on a plate or cutting board. Using a spoon or knife, smear refried beans down the center of the tortilla, leaving about an inch on one end. Or, for whole beans, add about 1/4 cup to the center.
- Top with 1/4 of the tofu scramble (or less depending on the size of your tortilla).
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the green onion on top with 1/3 of the sliced avocado and a little salsa and/or hot sauce depending on your preference.
- Top with store-bought vegan sour cream or make your own.
- Fold up the bottom of the tortilla and then fold in the 2 sides, leaving one end open. Serve with extra salsa, hot sauce and sour cream.