This colorful Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad has it all; intense flavor, heart-healthy veggies, a little chickpea protein, beautiful plant-based feta, and a beautiful bright dressing.
I am absolutely raving about this tofu feta. As you know, tofu alone has no flavor, and it easily absorbs the flavors of its marinades. This marinade uses miso, which offers that smoky, umami, cheesy flavor, also adding live digestive-friendly probiotics.
Before marinating, press the tofu using a tofu press or by wrapping in paper towels and placing it on a plate with another plate on top. Put something heavy on top. Press for around 15 minutes while you prepare the other veggies.
Use my discount code PLANTBASEDCOOKING_10 and receive 10% off your order of The TofuBud.
Once the tofu cubes are all nice and infused, it’s so much like the real thing. We are finally finding wonderful ways to not miss the cheese and this middle eastern tofu recipe is such a delight!
This tofu vegetable salad itself is loaded with fresh, crisp veggies like cucumber, tomato, and onion, hearty chickpeas, fresh herbs, garlic, lemon, and creamy tahini.
This salad offers an abundance of protein from the middle eastern marinated feta tofu and chickpeas, fiber, vitamins, and minerals and still keeping it low in fat. We don’t use oil in this recipe.
The tahini (a paste made from ground sesame seeds) here is the source of fat. Though, when fat is infused with a plethora of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and iron, B & E vitamins, and other minerals that aid in liver detoxification, this is one fat that is wonderful for the body to consume.
Tahini is a wonderful way to add creaminess to any dressing, and with a punch of nutrients like that, this is on my top list of fats to use when needed.
Don’t miss out on these lively fresh salads:
- Arugula, Orange Fennel Salad
- Vegan Caprese Salad with Blackberry & Watermelon
- Vegan Waldorf Salad with Apples & Raisins
I love serving this salad with middle eastern vegetable recipes like my homemade Falafel burger or mini baked Falafels, or if you are feeling like a soup n salad kind of day, I recommend enjoying it with a Butternut Apple Soup.
This middle eastern tofu salad is a great dish for any season. The lemon, garlic, and herbs offer a nutritional punch which is a wonderful way to keep your immune system strong and keep you nourished, and satisfied.
Tip: If you are new to eating a plant-based diet and feel you maybe ate more legumes than you are used to, a little umeboshi plum or apple cider vinegar in water will offer relief. (the probiotic-rich miso in the tofu marinade also helps digestion).
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad
- 1/2 12-14 oz package firm organic tofu drained and pressed for 30 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Tbl light miso
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbl lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 scallions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (cherry tomatoes will also work)
- 1 medium hothouse cucumber halved lengthwise and 1/2-inch-diced
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves julienned into thin strips
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces tofu feta cheese 1/2-inch-diced, recipe above
- 6 whole whole wheat pita bread toasted and cut into 6 wedges
- 4 Tbl tahini or cashew butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Press the tofu using a tofu press or by wrapping in paper towels and placing it on a plate with another plate on top. Put something heavy on top. Press for around 15 minutes while you prepare the other veggies.Cut pressed tofu into cubes about ½” large.
- Make the tofu feta marinade by combining the garlic, miso, oregano, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and salt.
- Transfer tofu to the bowl with the marinade. Stir through to coat the tofu and combine well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Place the scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, parsley, mint, and basil in a large salad bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, tahini or cashew butter, and garlic. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut the pita bread in half and toast in a toaster oven or toaster until warmed through and slightly crisp. Cut each half into 3 wedges.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to coat all the vegetables. Add the feta and toss again gently.
- Serve the salad with the toasted pita bread.