I found packaged organic kale salad at my local Whole Foods and I thought this Kale Salad with Oranges would be a quick way to prepare this #1 rated plant-based superfood! I added mandarin oranges from a can for speed, but you could add fresh orange sections as a fresher option.
Kale – #1 Superfood
Kale has been the #1 nutritious food for several years.
Although sometimes it can be tougher to eat than, say, a spinach salad.
Here’s the trick! Massage the kale with your hands using a little avocado. This relaxes the kale and makes it more palatable to eat and as a added bonus, it will make your hands soft, too. Yep, get your hands right in there and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. It’s fun!
Accompany this salad with a plant-based meal:
- Avocado, Papaya Gazpacho
- Easy Chana Masala With Chickpeas & Yams
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
- Tempeh Salad Sandwich
Add walnuts, oranges, the dressing and voila – you’re ready to chomp on a super easy, super nutritious kale salad. I added mandarin oranges from a can for speed, but you could add fresh orange sections.
Serve with half a sandwich or soup for a well-rounded lunch or dinner, or you can load up a huge bowl, maybe adding some tempeh and call it a meal.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Kale Salad with Oranges recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Kale Salad with Oranges
- 1 package kale salad mix or from scratch:
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained, reserving juice
- 1 whole avocado 1/2 rough chopped, 1/2 for massaging into kale
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl juice from the mandarin oranges
- 1 tsp date syrup (or maple syrup)
- If making from scratch, wash and remove tough stems from the kale. Shake off the excess water. Rough chop into 1" pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 of the avocado and massage into kale with hands until it softens. This makes it less tough.
- Prepare the dressing in a separate bowl.
- Add the remainder of the salad ingredients to the bowl. Pour dressing over all and toss.