I found packaged organic kale salad at my local Whole Foods and I thought this Kale Salad with Oranges would be a quick way to prepare this #1 rated plant-based superfood! I added mandarin oranges from a can for speed, but you could add fresh orange sections as a fresher option.
Kale – #1 Superfood
Kale has been the #1 nutritious food for several years.
Although sometimes it can be tougher to eat than, say, a spinach salad.
Here’s the trick! Massage the kale with your hands using a little avocado. This relaxes the kale and makes it more palatable to eat and as a added bonus, it will make your hands soft, too. Yep, get your hands right in there and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. It’s fun!
Accompany this salad with a plant-based meal:
- Avocado, Papaya Gazpacho
- Easy Chana Masala With Chickpeas & Yams
- Sheet Pan Ratatouille with Creamy Polenta
- Tempeh Salad Sandwich
Add walnuts, oranges, the dressing and voila – you’re ready to chomp on a super easy, super nutritious kale salad. I added mandarin oranges from a can for speed, but you could add fresh orange sections.
I’ve recently posted about greens and how they can be a great addition to a plant-based diet. Read my series Get Your Leafy Greens On (Part 1) and Part 2 .
Serve with half a sandwich or soup for a well-rounded lunch or dinner, or you can load up a huge bowl, maybe adding some tempeh and call it a meal.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Kale Salad with Oranges recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Kale Salad with Oranges
- 1 package kale salad mix or from scratch:
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained, reserving juice
- 1 whole avocado 1/2 rough chopped, 1/2 for massaging into kale
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl juice from the mandarin oranges
- 1 tsp date syrup (or maple syrup)
- If making from scratch, wash and remove tough stems from the kale. Shake off the excess water. Rough chop into 1" pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 of the avocado and massage into kale with hands until it softens. This makes it less tough.
- Prepare the dressing in a separate bowl.
- Add the remainder of the salad ingredients to the bowl. Pour dressing over all and toss.
How much kale is considered a “bunch” in this recipe? Seems like there are different takes on this. Thanks for your help and for posting this recipe!
Hey Anne, I see your point, I would consider it the amount that’s bundled together from the market, however, as you say, that can vary. I read that the average is 7 ounces. Perhaps 4-5 cups once stems are removed and it’s chopped. You can also go by your eye. When you add the Mandarin oranges, does it seem like a good distribution or are there too many? I hope that helps.
I had gotten a pound of kale at the farmers market and figured the recipe didn’t call for that much. I used half a pound of kale and massaged a whole avocado into it. Turned out really tasty- my vegetarian husband was thrilled! I love how simple it was to throw all the ingredients together and will definitely make this salad again!!
Thanks so much for your reply and take care!
Super, so glad you and your husband enjoyed the recipe!