I’ve been looking for a hearty sandwich and this tempeh salad sandwich fits the bill. The combo of pickles, celery and onion make a fresh crunch and the sandwich is quite filling and a great substitute for tuna or chicken salad.
I love using my homemade mayonnaise which I keep on hand as a staple in cute wide-mouth canning jars. If you haven’t worked with tempeh before, it’s quite easy to use. Check out my article, “Cooking with Tempeh,” for more tips. You’ll find it in the refrigerated section.
Most of these veggies and condiments you may already have on hand, which makes this recipe so simple and budget friendly. A pinch of mustard adds the tanginess, or you can opt for a dash of curry spice for a different kind of kick. You can also add a handful of raisins or currants for some sweetness.
Tempeh is mild in flavor, and its texture makes it a wonderful substitute for ground meat. Its made with fermented soybeans (and sometimes other grains). This healthy source of plant protein is great to use in many dishes such as a taco filling, stir-fries, chilis, veggie burgers or to top a salad.
Keep your lunches plant-based with these recipes:
- Curried Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- Pita Falafel Sandwich with Tahini Sauce
- Tempeh BLT
- Caprese Salad with Blackberry & Watermelon
- Farro Salad
This sandwich is quite filling, with its high protein content, and crunchy hearty texture. I sometimes use only one slice of bread and top my sandwich with a piece of lettuce. This is a good tip if you’re cutting down on these kinds of carbs.
Here’s a photo of the homemade mayonnaise.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Tempeh Salad Sandwich! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Tempeh Salad Sandwich
- 1 package tempeh original soy
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 sweet or dill pickles chopped
- 3-4 tbsp homemade mayonnaise or store-bought vegan
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4-8 slices tomatoe depending on tomato size
- 8 leaves lettuce
- Crumble the tempeh into small pieces in a bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, pickles, mayonnaise and mustard and mix thoroughly
- Serve on top of toasted bread with extra mustard, if you like and top with tomato, avocado and lettuce.