I love eating sandwiches without bread sometimes and these curried tempeh lettuce wraps are perfect.
If there’s one thing I love, it’s Indian food. I think my obsession started when I was in college and trying new foods that my family just didn’t serve when I was growing up.
Are you learning to love new tastes on a plant-based diet? I read one post from a gal that said she was craving Brussels sprouts!
Have a look at more tempeh recipes:
- Tempeh Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Tempeh BLT
- Toasty Tempeh Crumbles
- Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
- Tempeh Salad Sandwich
If you’re new to tempeh, it’s such a great substitute for any protein in a dish. It’s made with fermented soybeans and has a bit of a nutty flavor. In this case, it’s easy to crumble and make into this salad recipe.
There’s something about the crunch and sweetness of apples and raisins in this dish that is lovely. Mango chutney tops it off nicely.
Some people find tempeh to be bitter and recommend that you steam it first before using it in recipes. To steam your tempeh, cut in half, in a steamer basket for a few minutes. It will make the tempeh a little softer and easier to use.
I also hear that it helps the tempeh to accept the flavors better. Then, I cut it into smaller pieces and mash them with the back of a fork. Once that’s done, you just need to add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
I hope you’ll give tempeh a try. Use lettuce for your wrap or make into a sandwich. It’s great either way.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Curried Tempeh Wrap ! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Curried Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- 1 8 oz package tempeh original soy crumbled
- 1 apple diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 shakes red pepper or to your heat level
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 2 tbsp homemade mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 large green leaf lettuce leaves
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash tempeh with the back of a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients except lettuce and stir to combine.
- Serve wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Top with sprouts if you like.