Another classic made plant-based. This tempeh BLT sandwich is as satisfying as the original. Oven-baked or pan-fried bacon, vegan mayo, toasty whole-grain bread, crispy romaine lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes, if you can find them, make this sandwich seriously good. Top it with some creamy avocado if you like, too.
If you’ve been missing this classic because you’ve given up bacon, give it a try. And, you know you’re making the right decision to eat less meat with the announcement from the World Health Organization that processed meats are cancer-causing.
You can use store-bought tempeh bacon or you can make it yourself. It’s actually quite easy to make because you’ll just need to make the marinade, slice the tempeh and marinate it for a few hours. Then bake or brown the marinated tempeh in a non-stick pan. Here’s my recipe for Smoky Tempeh Bacon.
Enjoy these plant-based sandwiches:
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Tempeh Bacon BLT. If you have a photo, post it on Instagram, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it.
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
- In a non-stick pan over medium-high, heat 3-4 slices per sandwich of the tempeh bacon until lightly browned on each side. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
- Add mayonnaise to your toasted bread and top with bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
- Optional: add sliced or mashed avocado.
8 slices tempeh bacon & avocado slices