My Mint Chocolate Smoothie recipe is full of fresh mint and cacao nibs. Creamy, refreshing, and oh-so-satisfying, if you love mint chocolate chip ice cream, you will adore this plant-based smoothie. You can even make it thicker and serve it as ice cream!
Mint Chocolate Smoothie: The Perfect Pick Me Up
If you’ve been eating plant-based for a while, you may miss ice cream. Well, I’ve got some great news for you. It is possible to make recipes that are typically full of dairy without any milk or cream!
You won’t believe how frozen banana takes on the texture and flavor of ice cream. It’s perfect for this chocolate mint smoothie recipe. You could even add a little vanilla for a vanilla version! I personally love the addition of fresh mint. Of course, mint flavoring for this mint chocolate smoothie recipe is also an option, especially if mint is out of season.
Non-dairy milk is perfect for plant-based recipes. I always like to make a batch of fresh almond or oat milk to have on hand. Having these plant-based essentials in your pantry is recommended to make preparing your meals much easier! Here are 7 Tips and Timesavers for Plant-Based Cooking in a Flash and tips on How to Stock Your Plant-Based Pantry
Want to make your own plant-based milk? Check out my article How to Make Delicious Homemade Nut, Seed, and Grain-Based Milk.
More About Mint Chocolate Smoothie Ingredients
- Greens: Adding kale or spinach to this chocolate mint smoothie recipe helps to increase the nutritional benefits without affecting the flavor. Read more about introducing more leafy greens into your diet in my article series Get Your Leafy Greens On Part 1 and Part 2.
- Oats: Oats are a great addition to plant-based treats like this mint chocolate chip smoothie because they are full of soluble fiber and help draw cholesterol out. Nothing wrong with that!
- Cacao Nibs: These small bits of cacao have no sugar at all, so they are quite bitter if you eat them plain. That said, I find they are fantastic in smoothies. I like that little bit of crunch. If you can’t find them at your local market, you can purchase cacao nibs here.
How to Make This Mint Smoothie Recipe
Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities and specific instructions. Before you do, here are the step-by-step instructions you can expect to find!
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients
Add the old-fashioned oats (if using, this ingredient is optional), ground flax, and cacao nibs to a high-powered blender.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients
Next, add the bananas, spinach, and non-dairy milk to the blender.
Step 3: Blend to create your choc mint smoothie
Starting on Low, begin to blend your choc mint smoothie. Slowly increase the speed to get the consistency you want — you can also add a few extra cacao nibs as you go along.
If you find that your smoothie is too thick, simply add more non-dairy milk. When everything is perfectly blended, serve in a glass jar as pictured above and enjoy!
What Type of Non-Dairy Milk Should I Use?
I usually use oat milk — I love the brand MALK. You could also use coconut, almond, or even rice milk. But, I must say, I like how the oat flavor marries with the rest of the ingredients.
How do I Make My Chocolate Mint Smoothie Thicker?
As I mentioned above, you can simply add more plant-based milk to the rest of the ingredients if your chocolate mint smoothie is too thick. So, what happens if it’s too watery? I recommend adding some avocado in that case. Not only will it make this mint chocolate smoothie recipe more wholesome, but it will also thicken it up beautifully!
Is this Mint Chocolate Smoothie Like a Shamrock Shake?
Shamrock Shakes can typically be found at McDonald’s around St. Patrick’s Day. You can think of this mint smoothie recipe as its healthier, plant-based cousin. The fast food version includes lots of ice cream, added sugar, and food coloring. I may be biased, but I prefer mine, and I think you will too!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Mint Chocolate Smoothie! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Try these other healthy and delicious plant-based smoothies:
- Cherry Chocolate Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Heart-Healthy Chocolate Chia Smoothie
- Superfood Smoothie For Your Health
- V-8 Smoothie
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means if you click a link, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure.
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 4 medium bananas cut into about 1″ pieces and frozen
- 1/2 cup or more non-dairy milk or homemade
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint or 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 2 handfuls spinach or other greens kale or romaine lettuce
- 1 Tbl ground flaxseeds
- 2-3 Tbl cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- Add the optional oats, ground flax, cacao nib to the bottom of a high-powered blender.
- Add the bananas, greens and non-dairy milk.
- If you want more bits of cacao, save and add them later after you’ve blended the mixture a bit.
- Blend starting on low and slowly arise the speed. Add more non-dairy milk if the mixture is too thick.
I use coconut milk for an extra creamy texture! I like the addition of veggies. Great recipe!
Thanks. Mmmm, coconut milk. I usually like the lite version, but it’s a great addition!
My chocolate mint plant is growing big and beautiful, and this will be a great recipe to try it in! Thanks!
That sounds wonderful, Elizabeth. I hope you enjoy the recipe.