This mushrooms with burgundy sauce over polenta is a very unique and bold recipe full of flavor. The mushrooms provide a great richness and meatiness to the dish, as well as a great source of protein.
This would be a great choice to serve for a small gathering or a ladies’ luncheon. Pair it with a tossed green salad or fresh fruit salad and you’ll have a complete meal.
This recipe calls for polenta and you can buy readymade polenta or prepare it yourself. Here’s video (below) for a great recipe for making homemade polenta. I think you’ll find the homemade version of polenta better than store bought.
Also, this mushroom burgundy wine sauce recipe calls for Worcestershire Sauce and there is a version of vegan Worcestershire but if you don’t like the standard store bought with all the salt, you can make a homemade version here.
How to make mushroom burgundy sauce
Saute onions in water until softened. Then, add garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and spices to pan. Saute until mushrooms are golden, tender and moisture has evaporated. You want to keep the brown bits on the bottom of the pan to add flavor to your reduction.
Now, add wine and loosen the bits. Add tomatoes, worchestershire sauce and green onions. Reduce this sauce to half its volume.
While this is reducing, take your pre-made polenta and soften in the microwave. Stir in your cup of non-dairy milk until smooth.
That’s it! Serve your burgundy mushrooms over the polenta topped with a bit of chopped parsley.
It’s all in the sauce. These plant-based recipes are proof:
- Classic Basil Marinara with Angel Hair Pasta
- Roasted Veggie Tacos With Chipotle Sauce
- Spinach Tofu Benedict
- Enchilada Casserole
This burgundy mushroom sauce for polenta dish is recommended topped with parsley but you could also add additional green onions or crushed red pepper flakes for some spice.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Mushrooms with Burgundy Sauce over Polenta! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
Originally published Jul 9, 2012
Mushroom Burgundy Sauce Over Polenta
- 24 oz cremini mushrooms sliced (3, 8 oz packages)
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup pearl onions frozen is the easiest to use
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes undrained, finely chopped in a blender or food processor
- 2 Tbl Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk or vegetable broth
- 1 18 oz store-bought pre-made polenta or made from scratch
- Saute chopped onion in water until softened in a large saute pan. Add garlic, mushrooms, pearl onions, carrots, and spices, and continue to cook until mushrooms are golden and tender and the moisture has evaporated. Keep the brown bits as they add flavor.
- Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits. Then add the tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, green onions. Continue to cook until reduced by about half.
- Soften pre-made polenta by warming in the microwave. Add about 1 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk or broth and stir to combine until it’s about the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Add chopped parsley at the last minute.
- Serve mushrooms with sauce over softened polenta.