This lentil oat porridge is the perfect punch of low fat, low-calorie nourishment, and tastes delicious too!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and rightly so. The first meal of your day sets you up for your entire day. It also provides you with the energy and fuel you need to get all your tasks done without having you feel depleted.
I found Susan’s Power Porridge at her Fifty Not Frumpy blog and I’m hoping it does the trick. That is, keep me full for a longer period of time. Although I changed it up a bit, I think you’ll find this recipe a real winner.
It is super delicious and it doesn’t really need any sweetener, at least for my taste. This power porridge is a nutritional powerhouse. I am so excited to have discovered this recipe.
Take a look at a few more plant-based breakfast recipes:
- Low Fat Cinnamon Nut Granola
- Oat and Quinoa Hot Cereal
- Oatmeal with Berries and Nuts
- Tofu Veggie Scramble
- Carrot Chia Pudding with Indian Spices
This is the basic recipe, but you can mix it up by adding something new like hemp seeds or leave something out if you don’t have it on hand. If you use soy milk, it’ll up the protein which you also get from the lentils. The seeds and nuts add fiber and vitamin E.
You can easily make your own non-dairy milk and I have put together a list of recipes to do just that! Read more about How to Make Delicious Homemade Nut, Seed and Grain-Based Milk.
This is a dynamite way to start the day. Eat your Power Porridge and you’ll be powering all day. According to her blog, Susan was ably to shed many pounds by following Dr. Fuhrman’s book, Eat to Live. Oh, and you also might be interested in Susan’s great take on style and clothing. Check out her new site, susanafter60.com
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Power Porridge! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Lentil Oats Power Porridge
- 2 cups unsweetened soy, almond or oat milk
- 1 tbsp lentils
- 2 tbsp steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp oat bran
- 1 tbsp Kasha (buckwheat groats toasted)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp walnuts rough chopped
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds raw
- 4 large dates rough chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins
- fresh or frozen berries and/or bananas
- Heat non-dairy milk to a boil add lentils, then add grains, seeds and oats stir, turn down the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about fifteen minutes until the lentils are tender. You may need to add more almond milk to keep the consistency creamy.
- Add the nuts and dried fruit, stir and cover to simmer only until the dried fruits have warmed. Cut fresh fruit to add on top.