This tofu veggie scramble is an easy and delicious breakfast meal. Of course, you don’t have to just limit it to mornings, it works fine for lunch and dinner.
If you’re working towards a vegan whole food plant-based diet/lifestyle, that means giving up dairy and eggs, as well. Don’t despair, I think you’ll find that tofu is a great substitute for eggs and I’ll talk about why in a blog post that’s coming soon.
I’m amazed at how satisfying tofu can be. Read my article about the Many Great Ways to Cook with Tofu.
What I like about this recipe most is the sweetness of the onion and how the curry gives it a kick. But that’s not the best part about this recipe. You can literally create different flavors and basically transform the taste of the dish by changing up the spices and veggies slightly.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day:
- Baked Corn Casserole
- Breakfast Burrito with Tofu Scramble
- Chickpea Flour Omelet with Curried Greens
- Country Hash Browns with Sausage Gravy
- Crustless Broccoli Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
For example, you can add a poblano pepper or jalapeno for a more defined kick. Experiment with different types of mushrooms like cremini, portabella or try it with green onions.
Add in additional seasonings to compliment the curry. If you don’t like curry try working with some earthy seasonings that will add a similar depth of flavor.
This is one of those dishes you may find making multiple times a week because it is so similar to eggs. It would be a great recipe to add to your Weekly Meal Planner. But also you can alter the fresh ingredients to suit your mood.
Tofu is a perfect blank slate for accepting flavor and your body won’t miss the cholesterol or poultry hormones. So, have fun trying out different ways to make this dish.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Tofu Scramble recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
- 1 package firm organic tofu drained and crumbled
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2-1 8 oz. carton mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Saute all of the vegetables in a small amount of water in non-stick pan.
- When veggies are mostly soft, add the crumbled tofu, spices and salt & pepper and stir to combine. The mixture should turn yellow from the spices and begin to look like eggs.
- Continue to cook until most of moisture from the tofu has cooked off and it’s heated through, stirring frequently so as not to stick.