I’m shocked and elated that there is a healthy and, I might add, very delicious alternative to sugary, dairy ice cream and one that’s so simple, this vegan strawberry ice cream!
You may think of ice cream as a summer treat, but the high vitamin c content in the strawberries make this a perfect winter dessert! You can spruce up this recipe by adding a dash of cardamom, some fresh basil or mint.
Maybe you have bananas that have been sitting around a bit too long. They make a perfect base for any flavor of ice cream. When your bananas are about to go off, peel them, cut them into smaller pieces, bag them and pop them in the freezer.
Nothing beats a cold treat. Check out a few more plant-based recipes:
- Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
- Moroccan Spiced Vegan Eggnog
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- Raspberry Jello Salad
You’ll be ready to go if you have just a few other ingredients and a high-powered blender. Although this recipe is for strawberry ice cream, it’s easy to switch up the flavors and play with different variations as well.
Alternatively to strawberries, you could just as easily use mango, blueberries, dark sweet cherries, and even kiwi. For a chocolate version, add 1/3 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa (or the purer form, spelled cacao).
Add a few walnuts, hempseeds or pistachios for a crunchy topping and you can feel good about dessert again!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Strawberry Ice Cream recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 3 bananas peeled, rough chopped, put into baggies and frozen
- 1 16 oz bag frozen organic strawberries drained
- 2/3 cup raw cashews soaked for several hours
- 4 pitted medjool dates optional
- 1 cup homemade almond milk or unsweetened MALK or Three Trees brands
- Put frozen bananas, strawberries, and soaked cashews, dates (if using), and almond milk into the jar of a high-powered blender.
- Blend, turning off frequently to scrape down the sides and help the blender to work.
- Add more milk if it seems too thick.
- Serve immediately or pour into a freezer safe dish and freeze. You will need to let it defrost a little to get the ice cream back to creaminess.
- Top with walnuts or pistachios and sliced strawberries, if you like.