This morning I made these cornmeal waffles. Sunday mornings lend themselves to a little more involved breakfast prep. And, today is Father’s Day. What better way to say you love someone than to cook a special meal.
Unfortunately, the kids are not in town so my husband and I are planning a bike ride to the Boulder mall for dinner and a movie. The bike trails are so inviting and meander by the creek, rolling parks and past the college into town. All in about 20 minutes!
We have new headlights for the ride home in the dark. I’m looking forward to seeing the new Jurassic Park movie. These Vegan Cornmeal Waffles are hearty and delicious and just right for Dad. And, they are made without eggs, oil, or dairy!
One thing about waffles and pancakes, you can use any kind of flour that you like or have on hand. I like the addition of cornmeal because it gives the waffles a little crunch.
Be sure to check out more plant-based breakfast recipes:
- Carrot Pancakes
- Chai Spice Apple Muffins
- Low Fat Cinnamon Nut Granola
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Oat and Quinoa Hot Cereal
Buckwheat is a great gluten-free option, but do feel free to mix it up with other flours that work for you. Ground flaxseeds replace the eggs and the apple sauce gives it a little sweetness.
Enjoy these super healthy waffles. And, I’d love to hear what you like for breakfast. Or, if you make these, any feedback in the comment area would be appreciated here on the website.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Cornmeal Waffles recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup soy milk or other plant milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbl maple syrup
- 1 Tbl coconut oil (optional - leave out for oil-free)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 1 cup blueberries
- maple syrup
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix the wet ingredients, milk, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients, cornmeal, oats, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and combine carefully.
- Cook in your waffle maker according to the directions.
- To make blueberry syrup, pour a little maple syrup over the cup of blueberries and warm a few seconds in the microwave.
- Top each waffle with a dollop of applesauce, the blueberry/maple syrup mix and a few walnuts.
- NOTE: for gluten-free use 1/3 cup buckwheat flour + 1/3 cup GF flour