This morning I made these cornmeal waffles. Sunday mornings lend themselves to a little more involved breakfast prep. And, today is Father’s Day. What better way to say you love someone than to cook a special meal.
Unfortunately, the kids are not in town so my husband and I are planning a bike ride to the Boulder mall for dinner and a movie. The bike trails are so inviting and meander by the creek, rolling parks, and past the college into town. All in about 20 minutes!
These Vegan Cornmeal Waffles are hearty and delicious and just right for Dad. And, they are made without eggs, oil, or dairy!
One thing about waffles and pancakes, you can use any kind of flour that you like or have on hand. I like the addition of cornmeal because it gives the waffles a little crunch.
Be sure to check out more plant-based breakfast recipes:
- Carrot Pancakes
- Chai Spice Apple Muffins
- Low Fat Cinnamon Nut Granola
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Oat and Quinoa Hot Cereal
Buckwheat is a great gluten-free option, but do feel free to mix it up with other flours that work for you. Ground flaxseeds replace the eggs and the apple sauce gives it a little sweetness.
Enjoy these super healthy waffles. And, I’d love to hear what you like for breakfast.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Cornmeal Waffles recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Waffle Maker
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon*
- 1 ½ cup soy milk or other plant milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional - leave out for oil-free)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract non-alcoholic preferred
- 1 cup blueberries
- maple syrup
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix the wet ingredients, milk, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients, cornmeal, oats, flaxseeds, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and combine carefully.
- Cook in your waffle maker according to the directions.
- To make blueberry syrup, pour a little maple syrup over the cup of blueberries and warm a few seconds in the microwave.
- Top each waffle with a dollop of applesauce, the blueberry/maple syrup mix and a few walnuts.
- NOTE: for gluten-free use 1/3 cup buckwheat flour + 1/3 cup GF flour
Is liquid missing from the recipe? I had to add at least a cup of water to get something that was like a batter. 1/2 c of milk and 1/3 c of applesauce is not enough liquid to make a batter with more than 2 c of dry ingredients. Somethings missing.
Hey Deb, I know with pancakes, which I tend to make often, a thicker batter makes fluffier pancakes. The longer you let a batter sit, the thicker it gets, as well, especially with whole grains. It’s been a while since I had these so will make these again asap to see what’s up. I’ll report back soon. Update: I’ve upped the liquid in the recipe to 1 1/2 cups.
The text mentions that ground flax seeds replace eggs, but the recipe doesn’t contain ground flax seeds. Did you forget them?
It looks like I did forget them. I’ve updated it now to 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds. Thanks for letting me know. 💕