It’s 2020 and one of the most disheartening years of our lives. Fall is here, and winter is coming. As we continue to deal with Covid-19 and find our passions while spending more time at home, I decided that having a vegetable “chicken” noodle soup would be just the recipe to soothe the soul.
I usually work at home, so my life hasn’t changed much, but I miss hanging out with friends and celebrating. And unfortunately, I’ve had more anxiety over the past few months. From what I’ve read, it’s normal for many people. Anxiety has been a constant, on and off, for most of my life. It sneaks in and out, and I deal with it as it comes.
Have you been feeling the same, not only because of this crazy year? If you’re dealing with health issues, you might also feel anxiety.
Let me reassure you that eating a whole-food, plant-based diet is one of the best tools you have for your health. Stay tuned for more on this subject…
Soy Curls and Chickpeas
Now, for the Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup with Soy Curls.
Soy Curls are a great substitute for meat. They even look like shredded chicken but are made of only dehydrated soybeans. They’re easy to rehydrate. In fact, for this recipe, I’ve just thrown them into the pot, and they rehydrate while simmering during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
You might also want to check out my Vegan Tetrazzini with Soy Curls recipe.
The Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup starts by sauteeing onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little vegetable broth or water. Then add the seasonings, water, noodles (or brown rice), green peas, chickpeas, and soy curls… all in one pot! You can’t get much easier than that! You can up the garlic for more healing power, add a little curry for extra spice, or a squeeze of lemon juice.
Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup is super satisfying and a recipe you should definitely have in your arsenal of delicious plant-based recipes!
A Note About Better Than Bouillon
One note on the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. It has quite a bit of salt and is made with oil and sugar, so leave it out if you’re going salt, sugar, and oil-free. I’m in the phase of experimenting with seasonings that mimic the flavor of chicken. Let me know in the comments if you have a favorite “chicken-flavored” seasoning.
Other Healing Soups:
- White Bean Soup with Garlic, Mushrooms, and Risotto
- Winter Immunity Mushroom Soup
- Hearty Lentil Kale Soup
This vegetable “chicken” noodle soup is a soothing exilir if you’re sick or want some warm soup to sip while you remember everything you’re grateful for.
I’d love to hear your feedback for this Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup with Soy Curls and Chickpeas! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 cup onion chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 9 cups water
- 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base (optional - has salt, some sugar and oil)
- 1 ½ cups dry Butler Soy Curls
- 1 (15-oz.) can no salt added chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked pasta noodles or cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion in 1/4 water or vegetable broth on medium heat for a few minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and celery.
- Add the poultry seasonings and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add water and Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base and stir to combine. This ingredient is optional. Salt to taste, otherwise.
- Stir in the noodles and cook, uncovered, for the time suggested on the package.
- Add the soy curls and chickpeas. Continue to simmer for 10 or more minutes until the pasta is cooked.
- Add fresh parsley and stir to combine.