It’s 2020 and one of the most disheartening years of our lives. Fall is here and winter is coming. As we continue to deal with Covid-19 and find our passions while spending more time at home, I decided that having a vegetable “chicken” noodle soup would be just the recipe to soothe the soul.
I usually work at home so my life hasn’t changed much, but I do miss hanging out with friends and celebrating with others. And, unfortunately, I’ve had more anxiety over the past few months. From what I’ve read it’s pretty normal for a lot of people right now. Anxiety has been a constant, on and off, for most of my life. It sneaks in and out and I deal with it as it comes.
I’m wondering if you’ve been feeling the same. And, not only because of this crazy year. If you’re dealing with any health issues you might also be feeling the sting of anxiety.
Let me reassure you that eating a whole-food, plant-based diet is one of the best tools you have for your health. Stay tuned for more on this subject…
Soy Curls and Chickpeas
Now, for the Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup with Soy Curls.
If you haven’t tried soy curls, I want to encourage you to give them a try. It’s a great substitute for meat. It even looks like shredded chicken but it’s made only of soybeans that have been dehydrated. They’re easy to rehydrate. In fact for this recipe, I’ve just thrown them into the pot and they rehydrate while simmering during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
You might want to check out my Vegan Tetrazzini with Soy Curls recipe, as well.
The Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup starts by sauteeing onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little vegetable broth or water. Then add the seasonings, water, noodles (or brown rice) green peas, chickpeas, and soy curls… all in one pot! You can’t get much easier than that! You can up the garlic for more healing power, add a little curry for extra spice, or a squeeze of lemon juice.
Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup is super satisfying and a recipe you should definitely have in your arsenal of delicious plant-based recipes!
A Note About Better Than Bouillon
One note on the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. It does have quite a bit of salt and is made with some oil and sugar, as well, so leave it out if you’re going salt, sugar, and oil-free. I’m in the phase of experimenting with seasonings that mimic the flavor of chicken. Let me know in the comments if you have a favorite “chicken-ish” seasoning.
Other Healing Soups:
- White Bean Soup with Garlic, Mushrooms, and Risotto
- Winter Immunity Mushroom Soup
- Hearty Lentil Kale Soup
This vegetable “chicken” noodle soup is a soothing exilir if you’re sick or you just want some warm soup to sip while you remember all the things that you’re grateful for.
I’d love to hear your feedback for this Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup with Soy Curls and Chickpea! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Vegetable “Chicken” Noodle Soup
- 1 cup onion chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 9 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base (optional - has salt, some sugar and oil)
- 1 ½ cups dry Butler Soy Curls
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked pasta noodles or cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion in 1/4 water or vegetable broth on medium heat for a few minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and celery.
- Add the poultry seasonings and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add water and Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base and stir to combine. This ingredient is optional. Salt to taste, otherwise.
- Stir in the noodles and cook, uncovered, for the time suggested on the package.
- Add the soy curls and chickpeas. Continue to simmer for 10 or more minutes until the pasta is cooked.
- Add fresh parsley and stir to combine.