One of my favorite soups is this Creamy Potato and Kale Soup and I applied some of the same recipe ideas to this Roasted Cauliflower Chowder. It’s another delicious and comforting, soup with a divine, silky texture that warms you from the inside and brings you comfort on a cold winter evening. And, it’s fancy enough for guests, as well.
This cauliflower chowder recipe uses other veggies like carrot, onions, chickpeas, potatoes, and soaked cashews to bring its delicious creamy consistency without using any dairy.
The nutritional yeast is another added ingredient that adds a little bit of “cheesy” flavor, as well as B-vitamins, which is essential in making sure you get enough of on a plant-based diet.
Roasted Cauliflower Chowder Vegan Recipe
What adds depth of flavor to this plant-based cauliflower soup is that the cauliflower and other veggies are roasted before blending with the other ingredients. While your cashews are soaking, chop the cauliflower into florets and roast in the oven with the potatoes, carrots, and seasoning. Also, add a bulb of garlic in foil alongside the veggies.
After this tray of vegetables and garlic have finished roasting, allow them to cool. Also, drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
A good high-speed blender is essential in getting the right consistency. You can find a high-quality blender at an affordable price these days; a little Magic Bullet is also a powerful little gadget that helps you create creamy soups in under 5 min without making a big mess.
Take your vegetables and add them to the high-speed blender. Don’t forget to add the garlic once removed from its skin. Follow with the addition of cashews, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, vegetable stock, lemon juice, and seasonings. Blend all this together at high speed until smooth. Then, add to a large pot, simmering until heated thoroughly.
Cauliflower is another amazing cruciferous vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamins, and helpful minerals to boost your body’s immune function. It has components that fight cancer and lowers bad cholesterol, improved digestion, and detoxification.
Cauliflower is a great vegetable to add to your diet in order to aid weight loss, as its so low in caloric and fat content. Anti-inflammatory, aids in eye health, as well as brain health. You can feel fuller longer, and feel so nourished with this dynamic vegetable.
Be sure to try these plant-based cauliflower recipes:
- Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Salad
- Cauliflower No Cheese Sauce
- Mashed Cauliflower with Gravy
- Barley Bean Salad with Cauliflower Rice
Lately, people are getting fancy with this vegetable by crumbling it into “rice”, using it as a main component for tacos, and blending it into a vegan cheese sauce. My favorite way is simply roasting it, tossing it with herbs and pumpkin seeds, as well as blending it into this decadent vegan cauliflower chowder.
This soup is a beautiful welcoming dish for a winter holiday dinner, like for Christmas Eve. When I have people over for the holidays, I love serving this cauliflower chowder soup.
Garnish with chives and paprika for a simple, added touch. Feel free to add some toasted and chipotle spiced pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for an added dimension of crunch.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Roasted Cauliflower Chowder! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for at least an hour
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 regular size potato peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 cup chickpeas no salt added (Eden Brand)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth Trader Joe's brand, (or 4 cups homemade)
- 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper or Tabasco
- Add cashews to a bowl, cover with hot water and let soak for at least 1 hour.
- While cashews are soaking, preheat the oven to 425ºF. Chop cauliflower into florets. Arrange on a baking sheet along with the onions, carrots, potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb so that some of the cloves are slightly exposed. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap bulb in tin foil and place on sheet with vegetables.
- Roast for 20–25 minutes until the cauliflower is starting to brown and the vegetables are soft. Allow the veggies to cool then add them to a high-powered blender. Squeeze the garlic out of its skin and add it to the blender, as well.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, adding them to the blender along with the chickpeas and nutritional yeast.
- Pour in vegetable stock, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and additional salt and pepper, and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour into a large pot and simmer to heat through, adding more water as necessary to thin.