Lightly curried vegetable wraps are one of my favorite dishes from the past. This was way before I was even thinking about going plant-based.
The recipe is from Lisa Heebner who use to teach cooking classes in her home and wrote, Cooking with the Seasons. I still use her cookbook today! Today, Lisa has switched gears and was recently mayor of our neighboring town, Solana Beach. Way to go Lisa!
There are no beans in these burritos, but they do have hummus and they’re chocked full of plant-based nutrition. You could add beans if you’d like or you can serve them as a side dish to this recipe.
You can add any veggies you like or have on hand. For these, I added sweet potato but I even like to add beets sometimes. I seem to be on a curry kick, but I must say that it makes these wraps/burritos.
You could throw some fresh salsa in for flavor or add hot sauce to the veggies for a kick if you don’t like curry. I also used my Edamame hummus in this recipe.
The surprise ingredient that’s cooked along with all the vegetables, is lettuce. Yes, you can cook lettuce. Try to avoid iceberg as it has the lowest nutritional value of all the lettuce options.
Check out these great plant-based lunch ideas:
- Roasted Veggie Tacos With Chipotle Sauce
- Tempeh Salad Sandwich
- Tempeh Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Grilled Mushroom, Eggplant Sandwich
You could use kale, spinach or chard if you prefer. Use it to get your greens in, right? There’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, I’ve elaborated on the benefits of leafy greens and adding them to your plant-based diet is a sure way to get a boost of nutrition in your meals!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Lightly Curried Vegetable Wraps ! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Lightly Curried Vegetable Wraps
- 1/2 large green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, green beans
- 4 cups red leaf or butter lettuce cut into shreds
- 8 whole grain tortillas Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas are a good brand
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 3 Tbl vegan feta optional
- Saute green and red peppers, onion, garlic and curry powder in a few tablespoons of water for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and shredded lettuce, cover, lower heat and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas, stove top in a non-stick skillet until pliable or in the microwave wrapped in wet paper.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the vegetables in the middle of the warm tortilla. and spread about 2 Tbl. hummus on one side of the tortilla. (Or, use 1 tsp feta.)
- Fold over both sides of the tortilla and then roll.