Broccoli salad has always been one of my favorites, but I use to feel a pinch of guilt because the traditional one is made with mayonnaise and sugar and sometimes bacon.
The good news? This vegan, low-fat broccoli salad is super healthy for you, especially if make your own tofu mayonnaise.
You can substitute vegan mayonnaise if you’re in a pinch, but this homemade mayonnaise, made with tofu and raw cashews, is super easy to make and something you should be keeping on hand. It’s great for sandwiches and making dressings or sauces.
Broccoli, raisins, your choice of nuts, either walnuts or a combo of nuts like sunflower and walnut and the addition of red onion, make this salad a tasty, crunchy treat.
And, you know how nutritious broccoli is for you! It’s a great salad for a crowd, as well as, an easy salad for an every-day meal.
Looking for more Low Fat recipes? Try these:
This recipe is so easy, it takes just minutes to make! All you need is a few ingredients and a few minutes! You only need to chop the broccoli and onion, mix up the dressing and throw it all together.
By the way, if raw broccoli doesn’t sit well with you, you can parboil it for a few minutes to start the cooking process and then quickly rinse it under cold water or even a cold water bath which it a bowl filled with water and ice.
I think I have my potluck dish all sorted out for the weekend!
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Low Fat Broccoli Salad recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Low Fat Broccoli Salad
- 1 head broccoli bottom trimmed to about 3″, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins or dates chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds I like raw
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup homemade mayonnaise or store-bought vegan
- 2-3 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp date syrup
- Put all the ingredients except the dressing into a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl, tasting for you’re preferences (less sugar or more depending).
- Pour over broccoli mixture and stir to coat.
Can you send me recipe for tofu mayonnaise please?
I just figured out how to link to the recipe in the ingredients. Yay! That should help.
Loved this recipe. I had no vegan mayo so used lite mayo and it was so delicious. I’m definitely gonna make it again. 10 outta 10.
So glad you enjoyed it!
Hey Susan, Yeah, I’ve tried to removed sugar from my recipes but must have missed this one. 2 tsp isn’t much for the whole recipe. You can leave it out or try date syrup or maple syrup instead.