You won’t believe how tasty this kale citrus guacamole recipe is and it’s definitely worth the effort. I had this as an appetizer at True Food Kitchen and there are quite a few of these restaurants around the country.
I also had a vegan pizza and it was super delicious. The Kale Citrus Guacamole recipe had roasted poblano chilies, but frankly, that’s a lot more work and so I left those out of this recipe.
Although avocados do have fat, it’s the kind of fat that is good for you. That’s monounsaturated fat and it’s the kind that can lower bad cholesterol levels and are beneficial when consumed in moderation. The citrus in this recipe helps cut the amount of fat you eat in each serving.
Making grapefruit and orange segments can be tricky, but don’t let that stop you! Just remove the peel and slice between the segments. Orange segments are also good in a salad like this Orange Almond Salad.
Be sure to try these fan-favorite, plant-based appetizers:
Finding ripe avocados can also be a challenge, but here’s a tip if you only have avocados that are hard… Turn on the oven to 200°F. Wrap the avocados in foil and bake them for 10-20 minutes, depending on how hard they are.
Yes, it works as I have tried it myself. If they don’t get super soft like you’d like, leave them in a little longer and/or, put them in the food processor for a few pulses and that should do the trick.
Serve this kale citrus guacamole with cut up baked pita bread or oil-free baked tortilla chips. Your guests are sure to love this different take on guacamole.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Kale Citrus Guacamole recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
This recipe is Certified Plantricious because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- Sodium (mg) to Calories ratio, 1 ≤ 1
- Total Fiber to Calories, 2g ≥ 100 calories
Kale Citrus Guacamole
- 4 large avocados peeled and lightly smashed
- 1/2 cup kale steamed and chopped
- 1/8 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/8 cup green onions chopped
- 2/3 cup orange segments roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Remove stems from kale and steam leaves until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Let cool and then finely mince. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly smash the avocado.
- Mix in minced kale, cilantro, onions, citrus and salt until well blended.
- Serve with pita chips or baked tortilla chips and enjoy!