Just the sight of a macaroni and cheese dish can start you drooling. And, cheese is what people have the most trouble giving up on a plant-based diet, but this baked vegan macaroni and cheese will help you break the habit and not disappoint.
This vegan macaroni and cheese recipe is as easy as can be if you have the ingredients on hand. A box of whole grain elbow macaroni, soaked raw cashews, non-dairy milk, roasted bell peppers, and some seasonings for a creamy, no cheese-cheesy vegan dish that you’ll enjoy over and over again.
If you’re like me, you enjoy a little spice. Adding a few dashes a hot sauce really kicks up the flavor!
Nutritional yeast makes it a little cheesy, roasted red peppers make it an amazing color and the addition of mustard and lemon give a little tang.
It will get thicken and creamy as you simmer it on the stove. And, you can add other veggies to it, as well. Try a cup of frozen peas or steamed broccoli. They add beautiful color and nutrition.
If you’re feeling a bit more creative, add some chunks of baked tofu to the mix. It will really round out the dish.
Vegan recipes to add to your recipe list:
- Plant-Based Vegan Cream Sauce
- Vegan Tetrazzini with Soy Curls
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Plant-Based, Vegan Sour Cream
You can also mix it up with the type of pasta you use. I like the little shells as they catch all of the cheesy goodness.
Don’t let your cravings for cheese get the best of you. You can enjoy the flavor you miss with this recipe or even try Cashew Cheese Sauce in more of your recipes or as a dip. If the cravings are getting to you, also check out my recipes for Chili Cheese Dip and Cauliflower No Cheese Sauce.
Make this baked macaroni and cheese today.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Baked Vegan Macaroni and Cheese! If you have a photo, post it on my Facebook page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Baked Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 16 oz box whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, about 3 whole
- 4 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp light miso
- 1/2 Tbl lemon juice
- 2 Tbl dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbl arrowroot
- dash cayenne pepper
Cashew Parmesan "Cheese
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°. Cook pasta noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse and place into a 9x11” baking dish.
- Place all the remaining ingredients into a high-powered blender, the drained, soaked cashews along with the non-dairy milk, roasted peppers, nutritional yeast, lemon, and mustard along with the spices, and arrowroot.
- Pour blended sauce into a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens. If the sauces seems too thick, add a little more non-dairy milk.
- Pour “cheese” sauce over noodles and if you’re adding any additional vegetables like peas or broccoli, add those in and stir all to combine.
- To make the parmesan "cheese," put all of the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of your mac and cheese or use bread crumbs.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the edges start to brown.
Recipe ingredients updated 7-19-21. Arrowroot replaced cornstarch.