Often times it’s the sauces and gravies that make a dish memorable and this easy oil-free vegan gravy is no exception.
It’s great served over mashed potatoes or cauliflower, drizzled on meatless meatloaf or even on a baked potato or fluffy biscuit.
There’s no reason to feel guilty with this plant-based, oil-free gravy recipe because it’s made without oil or dairy. If you have a good vegetable broth that you love, you’re ready to go.
This plant-based gravy is really that easy so don’t be afraid to make it on a busy night!
How to make oil-free gravy
After you throw in the whole wheat, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, toast them for a minute or two to bring out their flavor. Then add the vegetable broth and whisk to keep it from lumping.
Alternatively for this oil-ree vegan gravy, you can put the dry ingredients into a jar with a lid, add about 1/4 cup of the broth and shake it to combine. My mother used this trick when she needed a sauce thickened a little more if it didn’t get thick enough the first time. It’s come in handy many times.
Try some of these holiday favorite recipes:
- Cranberry Apple Sauce
- Chunky Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Baby Turnips
My family seems to love healthy vegan gravy and, especially during the holidays, we make extra. If you like a lot of gravy you might want to double this easy fat-free vegan gravy for your meal or to keep on hand for the next day.
If you want a more robust version, try this Mushroom Gravy recipe. Also, have a look around for more oil-free vegan recipes like my Refried Pinto Beans, or learn how to Cook Without Oil in this article.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Easy Oil-Free Vegan Gravy recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
This recipe is Plantricious Friendly because it meets the following guidelines.
The Trusted Seal for
- Must be whole food plant-based, contains no animal products
- May be minimally processed
- No added oil
- No added sugars
- No artificial additives or preservatives
- *Plantricious Friendly foods may include but are not limited to condiments, fermented foods, soups, sauces, beverages, dressings, marinades, etc.
Easy Fat-Free Vegan Gravy
- In a medium saucepan, add flour, onion powder, nutritional yeast to a pan and heat over medium.
- Add vegetable broth, whisking constantly to keep it from clumping. Add soy sauce and Worcestershire. Stir until thickened and season with salt and pepper.